Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hnelson

Cheap Waders

LOL That's pretty funny, Silver. Couple of long suspenders straps and you might even be able to make a few casts before they start leaking.

If you want them for next to nothing, watch yard sales and estate sales. I wet waded for a long time because I couldn't afford waders, I saw a bunch of fishing stuff at a yard sale and stopped in, got a $190 pair of neoprene waders for $5, can't beat that with a stick. Of course the dilemma with this approach is waiting until the right moment, which could be a few years especially depending on your area. I have worn my buddies Cabela's waders which were $80-90 and they were pretty good, not quite so flexible but they didn't leak.

Define "durable". Anyone else's expectations won't match yours. I've seen guys get pissed off because their $600 Simms waders ripped when they snagged on a barbed-wire fence they were climbing over. I'm not the smartest person in the world but I would not expect any of my gear to stand up to me being an idiot and snagging it on a fence. Does durable mean a season of weekend fishing carefully, or does durable mean neglecting to take any proper care?

Oh, and also define "cheap". I know a guy who drives a $120K car, burns $50 cigars, and drinks $100 a bottle wine. His idea of cheap isn't the same as mine. :D

Frog toggs hellbender waders have held up well for me at around $100. Well used but not abused, well hot trunk may be abuse...

How often do you fish? Five times, ten times or is twenty days on the water fishing a lot. Then cheap is cost effective. Do you park and walk a well worn path down to the stream or do you walk two miles to get to a spot?

I went through two cheap pair of Hodgeman waders in about three years. The guy at Davidson River Outfitters asked me when I said I wanted my thrid pair of cheap waders because it was December and my waders leaked while I was fishing, "Why would I do the same thing again and expect it to turn out different?" He convinced me to buy a pair of $300 dollar Patagonia's. I am not rich. That was a lot to spend. I was fishing 50 to 100 days per year between trout and warm water. Still fish a lot, but bird hunting may have slowed my fishing to 30 to 50 days. I was fishing this week in the mountains in a small stream of North Carolina (wild trout) and my waders seemed to have developed a small leak in the thigh area. First leak. The waders are 12 to 15 years old. I am rough on boots. I am on about five different wading boots in that time. I am going to patch these and get some more time out of them. If you can, and if you spend a lot of time fishing, waders are a tool, buy a well rated pair. A pair that actually fits your body holds up better also.