Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jacktown

Mallard hen flanks

They are a highly versatile feather. Most often used as tailing on several dry patterns. Can be used for wings in a laid back clump. Used for wings upright and divided. Even, as noted above, for soft hackle flies with large hackle.

"Has anyone mentioned the Hornberg Special?"

Sorry, Rockworm. That made me laugh ... I almost blew iced tea out of my nose.

Hmmmmmmmm ... yours is only the 5th reply.

Too much trouble reading through ALL those previous replies to see if anyone had mentioned the Hornberg, yet?

Maybe I'm missing something, but he did say mallard hen flank. The Hornberg Special is typically tied with mallard drake flank I believe! rolleyes.gif

Maybe I'm missing something, but he did say mallard hen flank. The Hornberg Special is typically tied with mallard drake flank I believe! rolleyes.gif

You are absolutely right, tidewater; the original pattern called for grey mallard flank feathers. Since the hen mallard has flank feathers that are more golden brown in colour Frank Hornberg must have used drake feathers. However, I would bet a Hornberg tyed with hen mallard would look and work very well. Especially in smaller sizes when fished during a Zebra caddis hatch.