Fly Tying
Xenopus

Bunching at hook eye

Been trying to tie gold ribbed hares ear nymph (size 16 & 18) without a bead head and am getting into problems with too much bunching at the hook eye. All suggestions to prevent this would be welcomed.

Even the master Davie Mcphail can crowd the head a bit but none the less you can still come away with sometips from his tieof this fly. It is weighted though. He is a master tyer, watch the video, take in all the points of the steps he uses..

its really pretty simple

start your thread an eye length back and don't tie in the empty space until its time to tie the head. that's all that goes in that space

behindtheeye_zps8208188f.jpg

its really pretty simple

start your thread an eye length back and don't tie in the empty space until its time to tie the head. that's all that goes in that space

behindtheeye_zps8208188f.jpg

YEP

Hi Xenopus,

This was a big problem for me when I was starting out even if I new the dimensions and how much shank to leave. One day my wife had this great idea. if just before tying the fly off the head looks like it will be crowded then undo the whole fly and start again...... it worked!!! Also she will only use flies I have tied that are not crowded which means I have all the troubles on the river threading the tippet!!!

I can still crowd the eye but usually when I am in a rush tying just before heading out

Cheers

VB1971

One more tip...Do not use more thread wraps than needed, it builds up bulk. I did that for a long time.

I can do whatever I want--as long as my wife says it's okay.