Fly Tying
vicrider

Using finger loop scissors...

This thread will expose an old man doing something they said you'll never see on the internet boards. I admit I was not only judging without experience but wrong in that judgment. I tried to find the thread where a video had the tier using scissors that looked like the ones you loop over a finger and carry with you while you tie the fly. I made the comment there was no way those could be comfortable to use or even safe to use. A couple of others commented they'd used them and not had a problem nor poked their eye out yet. Okay, just to show them how uncomfortable they were and probably sacrifice a few spearings I ordered a pair. Just for fun ya' know.

Well, guess what...I love 'em. 'At's right. Not just when I'm using them and leaving them in place while I tie a couple of flies but even when I set them down. They are just easier to pick up and use since you're not looking for two finger holes and they just get picked up easier for some reason, even if it's just psychological. I was tying a run of size 16 Adams parachutes for a swap and realized I was on the third fly in a row without putting them down yet. I really like the squeeze cut instead of the way regular scissors are used. All I can say is that if you're doing flies that don't involved a lot of hair cutting and other heavy duty cutting give them a try. Maybe, like me, you'll find a new tool to enjoy at your bench.

"This thread will expose an old man doing something they said you'll never see on the internet boards."

Sorry, I don't understand your first line. What is exposed? What is it "they" said would never be seen on the boards?

Anyway ... Although I agree with you that the spring loaded, one hand scissors are nice to use ... I will never tie with a pair in my hand. I know my movements and am very aware of my "space". Unfortunately, that sense of "area" doesn't prevent me from poking myself with sharp objects. It does help me decide which activities are more or less likely to be dangerous to me. Moving my hands around with very sharp little pointy scissors in them ... that ranks way up there.

The revelation Mike, is that an "old" (surely not) man looked at Wiss Snips and thought "No way". Then gave them a go and liked them. Old dog new trick to coin a phrase.

Well congratulations and may your scissors and yourself be very happy together. Have you gone the whole hog and set a needle into the handle (parallel to the cutting edge of the cutting edge finger loop side)? That is a really useful thing to do. Not my idea, it's from AK Best, but one I have used.

Wiss snips are not, easily, available here, but similar ones are. I have used them in the past. They are really good. They are easier to pick up, because they are thicker when laid on the table. Always remove them before taking a drink your favorite beverage. The blades, and needle, if fitted, get awful close to your eye. :o

Cheers,

C.

finger loop scissors?

these

Wiss-Quick-Clip-Scissors.jpg

these

6thfingers.jpg

this thread that you started?

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=81602&hl=%2Bscissors+%2Bhand

i'm set in my ways and dont really enjoy having a pair of scissors in my hand getting in the way. never have and this old dog is too tired of learning new tricks especially for someone who doesnt tie all day long or only ties 2-6 flies in one sitting. plus its fun to fumble around in your tying area and swearing at yourself when you cant find those scissors! smile.png

if it made me a better tyer well.....

fly tying for me is fun, not brain surgery!

for a commercial tyer its probably a good habit to do.

An old dog can learn new tricks. I've used Wiss snips since I saw them in A.K. Best's first book. I feel strange if I don't have them in my hands while tying a fly. I don't stab myself in the eye when holding a pen, pencil, knife or other sharp item, so I'm not to concerned about having a pair of Wiss snips in my hand. It does save time picking up a scissors everytime they are needed. It's whatever you're used to.

Mark

I have tied the AK Best idea...went right out and bought a pair and put the needle in straightaway after reading his book long ago. It didn't work for my style, but I'm a believer for those that like it. BUT I'm totally miffed at vcrider for admitting he made a mistake! C'mon...you're a guy. You're NOT supposed to EVER admit to that. Cheers, Ed

I keep my self-made scissors put on the fingers of the right hand. I do not spend time on taking the tool from the desktop and putting it back after clipping. Other tools at the photo are also selfmade.

post-34261-0-70399100-1443400811_thumb.jpg

Depends on what I am tying. I sit and tie stinger hooks all day preparing them for jigs or bucktail streamers with scissors in-hand no problem. But, if I am tying something a bit more delicate OR need to switch between old scissors to cut wire & then fine tip scissors to trim thread & feathers I set the scissors on the bench within reach.

Always remove them before taking a drink your favorite beverage. The blades, and needle, if fitted, get awful close to your eye.

And therein lies the problem. I know where my "body" is. I don't poke my self in the eye with my fingers. But if I had sharp point comfortably positioned in my hand ... I'd forget they were there. Stabbing myself in the eye, or anywhere else is a very distinct possibility.

When I tie my scissors never leave my hand..

same here. this was one of those tips i picked up early, and didn't put down.

the scissors in question are cool though.

Speaking of scissors does anyone remember these? One of my favorites. Orvis sold them. Does any vendor still carry these? These are trashed probably 25 years old.

IMG_6300_zpsqlmdw2vc.jpg

Personally I tried the thread snips after reading Best's book on production tying, and after a bit of experimentation, put them in the bottom of the drawer where they still sit today. Tried the more recent manifestation as well (Sixth Finger scissors) with the same result. I've always disliked the perceived imprecision of having to squeeze against tension to cut, and the blades on both blades are too special purpose for most tying.