Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
djd3mon

Devils River fishing trip in Del Rio TX

I am going fishing in the devils river just north of Del Rio TX in about 10 days. I have a no idea what flies to use to catch smallmouth and largemouth bass. Anybody have any reccommendations? The river is gen clear and not very deep.

Thanks

Craft fur streamer.

In the water, it compresses down to a slimmer profile, like a minnow. Stopped in the water, the craft fur still waves and moves ... attracting a lot of attention. Natural colors for clear water.

Top water poppers.

No need for subtlety or natural here ... just make noise and movement. You'll get wakes from several yards away if they're hungry. In moving water, the bass can't afford to let a large, struggling something go. They'll chase it down and hit it, THEN decide if it's edible.

Small swimming flies.

Natural colors. It's probably the most "consumed" item on the bass' daily menu. Look along any shoreline, and you'll see multitudes of tiny 1" or less minnows. This fly is my most productive pattern. I came up with it to develop a more weedless fly. After a while of finding it to be very good at catching fish ... someone pointed out that it looked a lot like a "panfish charlie".

My recommendations for clear water rivers and streams.

I have a co-worker who went in April this year he said it was absolutely beautiful! Bucket list trip indeed....Enjoy and take some pictures to share with us please!!!!! I saw a presentation that Dave Whitlock put on at a Fly Tying Expo in New Braunfels, Texas last year and he said it was a fishing trip of a lifetime.

Craft fur streamer.

craft fur streamer.JPG

In the water, it compresses down to a slimmer profile, like a minnow. Stopped in the water, the craft fur still waves and moves ... attracting a lot of attention. Natural colors for clear water.

Top water poppers.

fluffy popper.jpg

No need for subtlety or natural here ... just make noise and movement. You'll get wakes from several yards away if they're hungry. In moving water, the bass can't afford to let a large, struggling something go. They'll chase it down and hit it, THEN decide if it's edible.

Small swimming flies.

Panfish attractor.jpg

Natural colors. It's probably the most "consumed" item on the bass' daily menu. Look along any shoreline, and you'll see multitudes of tiny 1" or less minnows. This fly is my most productive pattern. I came up with it to develop a more weedless fly. After a while of finding it to be very good at catching fish ... someone pointed out that it looked a lot like a "panfish charlie".

My recommendations for clear water rivers and streams.

Thank you Mike fore the patterns and advice. I'm definetly tying up some of each. On the craft fur streamer what exactly is the head bade out of...buck tail?

Thanks again !!!!

I have a co-worker who went in April this year he said it was absolutely beautiful! Bucket list trip indeed....Enjoy and take some pictures to share with us please!!!!! I saw a presentation that Dave Whitlock put on at a Fly Tying Expo in New Braunfels, Texas last year and he said it was a fishing trip of a lifetime.

It is a bucket list trip for sure man. I am also fishing Amistad the day before with BASS elite angler Kurt Dove. So stoked!!! There will be tons of photos and hopefully a nice video. I am really lucky I get to go. A good friend had a favored owed to him and he does not fish so he knew I did.

It's a little hard to describe. The entire fly is nothing but a hook, bead chain eyes, some flash, craft fur and thread.

The head is a "dubbing loop" made from the trimmed off ends of the craft fur.

After starting the thread and tying in the bead chain eyes, run the thread back to just in front of the bend. Cut small clumps of craft fur and trim off the butt ends. Do NOT comb out the "underfur", just leave the trimmed butt ends in a neat bunch. Continue tying in these small clumps until you get to about 1/3 shank length from the hook eye. Make a dubbing loop and wrap the thread forward to the hook eye. Half hitch and pull the bobbin forward, out of the way.

Put the trimmed butt ends in the loop ... use a little of all colors if you want a mottled look, just one color if you want a solid color head. Wrap the loop forward, figure eight through the eyes and continue in front until you run out of loop or room, then tie off and whip finish.

Trim the head to shape, then apply a small amount of head cement to secure the whip finish.

It's a little hard to describe. The entire fly is nothing but a hook, bead chain eyes, some flash, craft fur and thread.

The head is a "dubbing loop" made from the trimmed off ends of the craft fur.

After starting the thread and tying in the bead chain eyes, run the thread back to just in front of the bend. Cut small clumps of craft fur and trim off the butt ends. Do NOT comb out the "underfur", just leave the trimmed butt ends in a neat bunch. Continue tying in these small clumps until you get to about 1/3 shank length from the hook eye. Make a dubbing loop and wrap the thread forward to the hook eye. Half hitch and pull the bobbin forward, out of the way.

Put the trimmed butt ends in the loop ... use a little of all colors if you want a mottled look, just one color if you want a solid color head. Wrap the loop forward, figure eight through the eyes and continue in front until you run out of loop or room, then tie off and whip finish.

Trim the head to shape, then apply a small amount of head cement to secure the whip finish.

Ok I see what your saying now. Thanks