Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingdom

Artistic patterns that use "normal" materials

I have a friend who is asking me to tie 6-8 artistic looking flies that are not for fish but just to look pretty inside of a display. What he is looking for is more of a streamer shape or possibly some bigger dry flies. I've never tied this style before and as I do research most of these patterns require very exotic materials that will cost me a fortune.

What suggestions do you all have for display flies that would use more "regular" materials?

And yes, I understand that "regular" is an arbitrary term... so think of materials that you would find in a typical American fly shop. Thanks all!

Deer Hair poppers and divers.

Permanent Eye fly (my version of a Crease fly)

Craft fur streamer.

Any of the above flies can be made "pretty" and more for display.

Any of the above flies can be made "pretty". Mine are quickies for fishing.

Deer hair,some Furry Foam,Rabbit Fur,Rubber,some synthetics ect...you don't have to spend a fortune, just be creative and have an imagination.

MVC-393S_zps02bef851.jpg

0a79a410-2b5d-4791-8d47-e8ed76078b48_zps

0d0c9d1a-3dcf-49ea-8e35-136aad86f2fe_zps

MVC-400S_zps7bedfb86.jpg

MVC-341S_zps6e834553.jpg

What he is looking for is more of a streamer shape or possibly some bigger dry flies.

a series of feather wing streamers

8be2ddbbddf4b98431eba7c98a90ad1c.jpg

or a nice set of wulff dry flies

wulff_zpslseyy2yf.jpg

or wet flies

Bastian_wetfly_plate.jpg

Yes, FlyTire, he did say, "What he is looking for is more of a streamer shape or possibly some bigger dry flies."

But he also said, "...most of these patterns require very exotic materials that will cost me a fortune."

So, if you're not planning on continuing to tie the patterns you choose for him, flyfishingdom, then see if you can buy small amount of the feathers, etc. you'll need.

Maybe, if you've got some fly shops or tying clubs near you, you can work out a deal to buy an assortment of materials for just one or two of each pattern.

mike

my response to the original poster were merely suggestions and he can disregard them or not

there are hundreds or even thousands of streamer flies that do not require exotic materials or even cost $$$$ (nothing exotic about feathers, floss, tinsel, thread, yarn, peacock herl, buck tail or even jungle cock)

nothing too exotic about wulff dry fly patterns and wet flies

if anybody who ties with materials found around the house, hares ear could be considered exotic

Tell your bud he needs to fork over the dough! No $$ No flies.

That's actually the proper way to approach this.

1) Show him the above pictures and have him pick out what he wants.

2) Find the prices for the capes, flanks, furs and other materials to tie those specific flies.

3) Present him with the bill of goods. If you're in it for the experience, don't charge "labor". If you're trying to make a name for yourself as a "commercial" fly tier, then figure what your time is worth, how long it'll take you to tie up his flies and include that in the "estimate/bill".

if anybody who ties with materials found around the house, hares ear could be considered exotic

LOL That would be me ...

Yep. Unlike many on this board and elsewhere online, I am fully aware of my abilities and short comings. And I am secure enough in who I am to admit to them.

I tie cheap. But my flies catch fish.

I know HOW to tie expensive, pretty flies ... but I do not care to.

What he is looking for is more of a streamer shape or possibly some bigger dry flies. I've never tied this style before and as I do research most of these patterns require very exotic materials that will cost me a fortune.

Unfortunately, many of the patterns in this style can be challenging to tie, especially to a "display quality". You may want to consider tying a pattern you are already used to tying, but scale it up and tie it on a larger hook.

As far as the question about using more common materials, hair wing patterns would be a good option. Someone already mentioned bucktail wing flies such as the Mickey Finn, but you can tie many of the patterns posted earlier using hair instead of feathers. Squirrel tails, calf tails, and buck tails are usually easy to find and they are easier to tie on straight than traditional feather wings. But just because they are easier to tie than a married feather wing, that doesn't mean they are easy patterns. They can be challenging, especially a slippery squirrel tail.

Here's a simple example. You just need some floss, tinsel, and a squirrel tail. Good luck and be sure to post a picture of the finished product.

Bothams%20Fancy_zpsnyliv6fq.jpg