Fly Tying
J-Kno

Super Blood Moon & fishing??

Was it the Super Moon, the Blood Moon or???

So I take the 2 youngest up to small lake in the mountains close by for some fly & bubble action last evening. Keep in mind that we don't get up there until 5:45 pm. The youngest (5) wants to use bait... I oblige and then set myself up with two flies I came up with last year... The middle kiddo is just wanting to hunt crawdads; if he is happy, then I am happy...

Well after my first 4 casts brought 3 fish to hand, they are BOTH now interested in fly & bubble and using dad's flies. So I stop all fishing activities of my own and get them set up. The action was HOT!!! The youngest wound up catching 5, two of them were on her own casts, middle kid catches 6 and dad manages to get 12 to hand! By 7:30 we need to get everything packed up and head back to the car.

All of this within an hour & 45 minutes... CRAZY good time!!!

I hope it was good luck & maybe a little bit of skill; I do not have to wait until 2033 for another evening like that!

Any moon will do. Over the years, often my most active fishing days, be that quantity or quality of fish has been on the approaching full moon, those 4 or so days can be magical, to include the full moon.. and a day or two after as well. And the no moon phase the least productive. just an accumulated observation after 59 years of fishing ( I'm 65, my dad started me late at 6yo).

Another thing is wind direction and weather fronts. Ever notice the temp drop on a fall day as rain approaches and suddenly the hot fishing comes to an abrupt end ?

some keep an eye on the air pressure or keep a goldfish in a bowl.

high pressure equals high activity. if the goldfish is active or skimming under the surface, it is time to go fishing. if the fish is inactive and sulking down near the bottom, it is time to sit at home and tie flies, lol.

I've noticed a definite correlation to the barometer and moon phase with how the fish are biting. While some days seem to indicate a strong bite will be at hand, it is never for certain and I stay busy enough that I'm just happy to get out when I have time. Even if I get skunked the old adage rings true... a bad day fishing is better than a good day working! Those are great memories for you and your kiddos! Congrats.

Tie a cat toy to a long piece of string, then play with the cat.

Playing with a cat will tell you how the fish will bite.

If the cat only attacks after the toy disappears around a corner, then hide your fly on top of a lily pad. Pull it into a stand of weeds and stop it there.

If the cat only dives onto a stopped toy, then a very slow, stop and go presentation should draw strikes.

Sometimes, the cat will only chase a fast moving toy ... then it's time to pull a streamer through the water as rapidly as possible.

If the cat only attacks after the toy disappears around a corner, then hide your fly on top of a lily pad. Pull it into a stand of weeds and stop it there.

If the cat only dives onto a stopped toy, then a very slow, stop and go presentation should draw strikes.

Sometimes, the cat will only chase a fast moving toy ... then it's time to pull a streamer through the water as rapidly as possible.

i didn't work for me. my old boy looked at me and gave me the, "seriously?!? stupid human go fill me bowl and empty my box." look, lol.

This requires the use of a cat? No thanks.... lol

My wife came home with two new kittens, torture treatment for our three adult cats who just want to pound them. I tried to tell her it wasn't a great idea.

i didn't work for me. my old boy looked at me and gave me the, "seriously?!? stupid human go fill me bowl and empty my box." look, lol.

OH yeah ... I forgot that one. If the cat doesn't want to play, the fish won't either.

Might have something to do with the age of the feline, too. I get maybe 5 minutes to decide how the cats want their toy ... then they lose interest.

My wife came home with two new kittens, torture treatment for our three adult cats who just want to pound them. I tried to tell her it wasn't a great idea.

get the kittens a helium filled balloon. we have one for our 1 yr old Sir Friday Augustine. it helps give our old boy Mr. Mickey Bones(14 yr) a break from kitten games. i cut the plastic stick off, and attach a piece of string to which i tie in the 'toy'. the 'toy' for him is a piece of mini pool noodle, and a Rocket wrapper (he has a thing for hard cellophane, lol). the funniest thing is watching Friday grab his toy and 'carry it' over a new area to play. hours of fun for all.

the 1m stick that the balloon came mounted to can also be used for tying tube flies. best $2.00 i've spent in a long time.