Fly Tying

Just my 2 cents worth. Do not remove hooks or beads from original packaging to place into another container. Storage is nice but after you get so many different sizes and styles, it can get a little over whelming to say the least. Keeping track of sizes, styles, manufacturers, etc... Tough to do.

2025-251.jpg

i store my hooks in 5 of these and the work perfectly fo me

this would also work perfectly for beads

get them at walmart

i'm now thinking of the following container

heres what i use for beads. they are just like tictac containers

smallembellishmentstorage1_1.jpg

heres some more ideas

https://www.google.com/search?q=bead+storage+containers&biw=1600&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIyMDsmu6byAIVwpYeCh1ADgem#imgrc=Dqyu8IoTcFJbHM%3A

take a walk through your local walmart or big box hobby store for even more ideas and fly tying materials

I am using the Craft Mates Lockables. I get them at Joann Fabric on sale for about $4.05 out the door.

123710_SUPER__000_20141205.jpg

2025-251.jpg

If you're careful, many times, you can get the label off the bag the hooks come in.

You can trim it down so the size and type are left and stick it to the container.

I prefer this to the baggies, since it's easier for me to tweezer out one or two hooks.

With my cats in the room, dropping one is NOT as option.

They'll pounce before I could get to it and hooking one would be ... bad.

Ditto what rstout said. Leave them in the original packages. Takes up way less space and time than the so-called 'organizers' that people with too much time on their hands seems to like. Further advantage is when you drop a plastic bag filled with hooks on the floor, nothing will happen. Drop a rigged plastic box, and all sorts of things can happen, and only one of them is nothing-at-all.

Hey Guys...Yeah, I've thought about this some. I've got this impulse to want to organize and get everything "perfect." It makes me comfortable. BUT, Irecently read through a thread about somebody dropping like 12000 [yes, that's my recollection] hooks for trout on the carpet...Yikes! My wife does beads and has dropped those too. I've dropped boxes of organized hooks. So, I'm with rstout and whatfly...there are ways to do this neatly that don't court that kind of disaster [for a klutz]. 2 cents and cheers, Ed

... Drop a rigged plastic box, and all sorts of things can happen, and only one of them is nothing-at-all.

Not a problem with the ones I suggested. All of the other lids stay locked with just one open... unless you open more of them at once... I used to use a 10 compartment "hook" box, but all 10 comartments were open at once...

it certainly isnt the containers fault if the hooks get on the floor

just buy one of these telescoping magnet tools

UT20MAG-2T.jpg

or put a stick on magnet in each compartment of your choice of organizer

fg206_f.jpg

good luck in finding the perfect solution

I have a LOT of hooks in multiple compartment boxes, each labeled with the appropriate data. I think I have four boxes with at least 20 compartments each (not a LOT by the standards of some of you addicts.) At some point I sat at my desk and wondered why I did that? From that point on I have almost as many in their original packages in one of my drawers. There really was no GOOD reason to not use original packaging, even with moving every couple years or having things in temporary storage. All the data is right there, and if I drop something, I'm not sorting through 2000 hooks.

i use the 4x6 photo cases that are stored in this larger case. http://canada.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MichaelsCanada-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=C_sb4728 . they come in a couple of different colours.

i store my cases on a small CD holder like books. the general description of the contents is written on a label that is placed on the 'spine' of the case. i'm then able to keep everything in it's original package, but still find it asap. hooks, beads, zonker strips, mylar tubing... you get the idea. adding a new subcategory is as easy as adding a new case of the appropriate colour with affixed label, and then placing it in the library.

i've dealt with hooks and beads on the floor/carpet before. never again......

I can only say you need to try some different things and decide what works for you. Lots of good suggestions above. I too have thousands of hooks but all mine are in some kind of container. I don't like handling the plastic packages so I take them out and sort them in separate compartments in different kind of containers. The one exception to his is when I get down to size 20 and smaller. Most of my flies in that size are Tiemco and they have this neat package with a magnet plate in it. When you get to 20 and down they want to get out of most plastic containers or switch sides with their neighbor so those I leave in plastic.

A box of shower curtain rings is great to keep like items (zip bags) together. Keep it simple rather than being a slave to organizing. Joann's, Michaels, Amazon and other have lots of options.

hooks with big enough eyes can be kept on a safety pin in a box. If the lid opens on a fall, they stay together. Also a nice hack for loose hooks in a tackle box or even flies. Thread the pin through eyes of a bunch of one pattern, and hang it up.