Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sore arm

steelhead/salmon reels

I am thinking of getting a new reel. The one I have now is on its last leg. The drag is shot on it. It seams to go to wherever it wants and whenever it wants. I use 8wt line and my main fish is th steelhead of Lake Erie. Afew days out of the year I will go to a neighboring state for salmon. I want to get this right and have roughly 250 to spend. Names and looks are not that important to me, but quality is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I've got the Bauer JM4 for my 8wt setup. Built like a tank and it has a solid drag that I've used to stop 20lb+ fresh salmon. The drag is very smooth with no startup jerking so it plays out fast running steelhead too.

The JM's are a great deal in that price range. Another option would be a Ross Rhythm 3.5. Similar price range, lighter but not as solid feeling. I'm using it on a 7wt dedicated steelhead outfit.

i would second the lamson vilocity as it is hands down the best reel on the market at its price range. the conical drag that it uses provides excellent stopping power, and is maintnence free. other than that i would recomend an old hardy clicker.

Harris has been the best salmon/steelie 8wt reel I have ever owned but its probably about $100 out of that price range. I had a Ross Rythm and I ended up having to get the drag repaired after the 3rd salmon I caught with it. Ni offense to anyone that has one but I was not impressed with the drag on the rythme at all.

Ross does have some good reels for that price range though, try to find a older model ross C4, i just sold one last fall but it was a real work horse for me for over 7 years without a single problem.

SD

I will agree with steeldrifter the Harris is just about the finest Steelhead/salmon reel ever made with a very smooth drag and it's built to last

but I have had good with a less expensive reel the Tioga LA8 which is very rugged but the drag isn't near as smooth as the Harris.

OSD.

Sign in to follow this