Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
djd3mon

Third attempt at a full dress salmon fly

This is my 3rd try at tying one of those beautiful salmon flies. I am slowly but surely getting the hang of this. Mine is on the left. I ordered the one on the right from ebay for a model.

post-56302-0-68397300-1443625193_thumb.jpg

I'm no authority but I don't think I have ever seen a salmon fly with palmered hackle. But then like I say I may be wrong. Either way I think it's pretty. Tied on a size 10 or 12 it would be a good bluegill fly.

The most important thing in tying traditional salmon flies is following the proportions that have been developed for over a century. Your fly and your model are not proportioned properly. Here is a link to a salmonfly anatomy chart. It will provide a guide to where the materials begin and end.

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/anatomies/salmonfly_anat.htm

Holy cow TroutBum those sure seem awfully hard to tie. I admire those who can tie them I am no where close to tying something of that quality.

djd3mon, You tied a lot better than I would have tied on something like that! There has been a few traditional salmon fly swaps in the past but I am to intimidated to try something like that. Hats off to you...

eide has timed some of these and he is the one you should be picking his brain! LOL

your fly is ok but you didnt follow the tying sequence or use the same hook as the fly you bought as a guide

Good work, we are naturally a little harder to impress than non fly tiers would be! Davie mcphail ties some salmon flies and for youtube videos he is a great instructor although don't be surprised if it's not as easy as he makes look!

I don't tie that type of fly, so all I can go on is what I've seen from other tiers.

Other than the length of the hackle (too long), I think you did a pretty good job.

I think you did a good job for your third attempt. Your married wings look good and if this is only your third time to try this style of wing then they look amazing. That style of wing is not easy to do.

You've picked a really complicated fly to start with. There are a lot of steps required in this pattern.

My suggestion for the next attempt would be to take out the yellow hackle and replace it with a wire rib just to simplify the pattern while you are learning. Your goal with a wire rib will be to make 5 evenly spaced wraps along the body (also the tinsel underbody should be smooth).

Next focus on the body of the fly and where materials are positioned on the example fly. Such as, the ostridge herl should be located between the tip of the hook and the barb with the tail feather tied in at this point. Note how short the silver tag is on the example fly.

Good luck! You're off to a good start and a couple of minor tweets will make a significant difference in how the finished product looks.

You have received some great advice. I'm certainly no expert but it looks quite nice regardless. With some of the tips given, you will be well on your way to tying some stellar flies.

No where near top of line..keep trying......like others have mentioned the prepositions aren't right .... and the heads suck basically.

Just honest criticism

I'm no authority but I don't think I have ever seen a salmon fly with palmered hackle.

Not true, most salmon flies have plamered hackle, most of which is folded.

My suggestion for the next attempt would be to take out the yellow hackle and replace it with a wire rib.

Wire is never used on traditional salmonflies. Flat or oval tinsel in either gold or silver are the most common.

...the ostridge herl should be located between the tip of the hook and the barb with the tail feather tied in at this point.

Again, not true. The Tag begins directly over the point of the barb with 3 to 4 turns of fine oval tinsel. Then the silk floss extends from the tinsel to directly over the hook point. Then the butt, either ostrich or wool dubbing begins.

Do a search of my screen name in the fly pattern data base for some examples of what I'm talking about.

This is my 3rd try at tying one of those beautiful salmon flies. I am slowly but surely getting the hang of this. Mine is on the left. I ordered the one on the right from ebay for a model.

"...like others have mentioned the prepositions aren't right ...."

I am no grammar expert, but I think his use of prepositions is correct.