Fly Tying
Li'lDave

October Flies from the Bench

This is my obligatory Halloween fly. I was going for a tarantula type thing. Tied on an 8/0 Predator X (just smashed in a foam block, so you cant see it). The legs are super time consuming. I need to work on perfecting this for display purposes. I've had a lot of interest in it. I am just not happy with the body shape at all. The abdomen needs to be much more pronounced.

post-54000-0-50590800-1444219531_thumb.jpg

Funny Dubs!

I think the operative word is "shades". That's the amount of a particular color present, combined with amount of white/black. In the case of grey, there isn't anything but white and black.

Technically there's only one purple, however people see any combination of red/blue as "purple". So there are a whole lot of COLORS of purple but only one COLOR of grey, but the same number of SHADES as grey.

Anyway this discussion should probably be in another forum.

Zamora's flies are gorgeous, regardless of their shade.

He just edited it (nicely), troutah tied them. And yes they are fine looking flies, even though I use the micro slits the other way. Oh, and I ain't never seen nothing like that tarantula! Spooktacular

deerhairdan, it's about that time of year when the Tarantulas start showing up on the roads around here. Would you like me to send you a few to study?

Actually, if you set that out on the lawn it wouldn't be long before one of the kids would be carrying it in. Ours are more brown than black though. I think it's a great effort and I'd proudly display that right now.

Deerhairdan, my man...that spider is unreal. I love it...this is cool. Thank you and best regards, Ed

Deerhairdan,being a deer hair guy myself, this a great idea and all looks good, legs are great . Maybe a dubbing twister with heavy wire to make heavy dubbing brush and then trim to shape? Several possibility's there BUT those legs look fantastic

First attempt at a foam mouse. I'm going to use a zonker with shorter hairs on it for the next one.

Try cutting a V on the belly of the mouse. That will minimize the amount of fluffy hair there, and probably get a more easy fly to fish and cast.

Alternative, look at the "Morrish mouse" pattern.

/H

First attempt at a foam mouse. I'm going to use a zonker with shorter hairs on it for the next one.

That is one fluffy looking mouse! Looks great. I bet it will create a good wake on water. Brings to mind the complex twist mouse I saw a while back on fly fish food. I tied a few up. The LMB loved them. Let us know how you get on with your pattern. Cheers.