Fly Tying
Xenopus

fly suggestions for Hiwassee and Tellico Rivers

Would appreciate any suggestions for fishing the Hiwassee and Tellico Rivers at this time of year. And if so inclined any suggestions for where to wade.

The area just got socked with a lot of rain, not sure how well they'll be fishing over the next couple days. This time of year there's still some terrestrials hanging around, mostly smaller ant and beetle imitations will work. Basic nymphs- hare's ear, PT, prince/zug bug, as well as smaller stonefly nymph imitations fished in the faster reaches (#8-#12). I like cruising small, heavily weighted buggers or mohair leeches through that water too-sometimes you'll be surprised what you pick up.

Funny this fly doesn't seem to get mentioned much. The best nymph for the Tellico and the Southeast, may be the Tellico. In the rush to tie easier patterns people skip the Tellico because of the steps involved.

The standard pattern for the nymph usually has lead wire underneath, white wool or floss and then yellow or orange floss. The tail is guineafowl, turkey tailfeather back and brown hen hackle. Some tie a partridge hackle and some old timers used a red hackle.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/uploads/Tellico%20Nymph%20033.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/138485757266516909/

Here are a couple of pretty close to the originals.

These should be in anyone's box that fishes the Smokies and Appalachian areas.

BTW in the upstate of South Carolina we got 14 to 17 inches of rain this weekend. Charleston and Columbia got 24 to 27 inches in three days. Still flooded and a state of emergency. The main rainfall went in a straight line from Charleston, Culombia and Spartanburg, SC right up through Knoxville, TN. I would call where you plan to go to see how they made out. I am told the Tennessee side of the mountains did not get it that bad. North Carolina announced that they would resume trout stocking next week.

I just got back from fishing the SoHo near Bristol. East TN didn't get much rain a week ago, and all the streams I visited fished well. It did rain most of this weekend, but not enough to mess up the fishing.

As has been suggested, always check ahead for the generation schedule, but keep in mind that they can change it with very little notice. The TVA has an app for your smart phone that can come in handy.