Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigsky2

Need Help - Tying Tube Flies

I want to start tying tube flies for pike. I live in a small town in MT far from any fly shop, so I have to get all my materials online. This makes it hard for knowing what sizes of certain things I need since I can't look at them in person. Can someone suggest a needle and the tubes I should get for tying pike flies? I want a simple needle that I can just attach to my vise. Links would be really helpful too. Any help is appreciated!

An old blind salmon hook makes as good a needel as most you can buy.

Another option for plastic tubes, is a piece of stiff wire. Bend the end to 90 degrees at one end. Cut across your tube at 45 degrees. Put the wire into the tube from the end you just cut. The bent end of the wire now sits in the lower part of the cut. Put the wire into your vice with the tube pressing against the jaws. Once you have finished the fly trim off the section cut at 45 degrees, then warm it with a flame to mushroom the end.

Cheers,
C.

Hello baitfisherman2.

As for ordering supplies for tube fly tying Caddis Fly Shop.com. They are located in the Northwest USA. Lots of Spey casting for Salmon and the use of tube flies. If possible purchase the Pro Tube starter kit. Has all you need to get started, and get the proper materials.

Have a Good Time

Paul

lundsflyshop.com

Get the Magnum Predator Euro tubing and the Magnum Predator Tube Fly Needle. Both are listed under "Rubber, Foam & Misc."

For me, the easiest tube by far to pass through a rigged hook wire trace is the Euro Magnum tubing with it's large ID.

Tube flies are a lot of fun to tie...and even more so to fish! I made a series of videos on them, and the link is:

That should bring you to the playlist, but if not, just let me know and I can get you links for all six episodes. Enjoy!

TC

Thanks for the info guys. What are you all using for your hook rig? I want to tie up something like the Bauer Pike Rig, but his video isn't in English so I'm not sure what he's using for wire and hooks.

I went ahead and ordered some of the Predator Euro Tubing, I will see how that works for me first. FIN-ITE 34, what are you using for hooks and junction tubing?

For junction tubing I'm using 1/8x1/4 silicone tubing that I bought from McMaster-Carr Industrial supply. As I stated in another post, the silicone tubing is far superior to vinyl tubing for pike flies. It will go over the tube in hot and cold air/water conditions and will accept the eyes of the big pike hooks. I use about a 1/2" piece on the back of the tube.

I am using the Nicklaus Bauer pike rig. The wire I use for the leader is AFW Surflon Micro Ultra nylon coated 1x19 35lb in camo color. The wire for the stinger hook harness is AFW Single Strand Titanium Tooth Proof 50lb. For the main hook A Partridge Universal Predator X in 4/0 or 6/0 and for the trailer stinger Gamakatsu Octopus 2/0.

The AFW is American Fishing Wire and can be ordered directly from the Mfr.