Fly Tying
michos

Favorite and/or cheapest supplier for materials

I'm big on road kill also. hit me a turkey, three pheasants this year alone.,deer tails, and friends who kill water fowl. and small game always come in handy.

I carry a beard trimmer with me in the truck, any road kill Squirrel,Possum or Coon gets shaved and hair put in a baggie.

never thought of this though... sounds like a plan to me.

PJ ... LOL ... You're not suppose to actually AIM for those critters on the road !!! Did you have to leave the road to get any of those birds??? LOL

How about groundhog? Anyone use their fur? I see them lying in the road all the time up in NC. I refer to US64 at Roadkill Alley.

I'm big on road kill also. hit me a turkey, three pheasants this year alone.,deer tails, and friends who kill water fowl. and small game always come in handy.

I carry a beard trimmer with me in the truck, any road kill Squirrel,Possum or Coon gets shaved and hair put in a baggie.

never thought of this though... sounds like a plan to me.

PJ ... LOL ... You're not suppose to actually AIM for those critters on the road !!! Did you have to leave the road to get any of those birds??? LOL

Oddly enough i never had to chase them, i figured it was some sort of mass fowl suicide they all happened in a week..... the Turkey was the scariest. i thought i hit a dog. 25 lbs ! when i picked him up he was in two pieces held together by a scrap of skin. what a mess. but nevertheless. i got so many feathers i dont think ill ever use them all.

Too bad we don't have peasants around here.......do they have saddle hackle? The neighbor has a real pretty lhasa apso. Wonder if they would notice if they came home and found it shaved?

Late spring these three young boys were walking on the road leading to my house. They were looking at a freshly killed squirrel in the middle of the road (I'd seen it on my way to the deli). I was headed home and as the boys watched, I pulled to the side, got out of the vehicle, never said a word, walked over to the poor little road kill, popped it into a bag the deli put my rolls in ("yes" I removed the rolls - ewww), and look up at the boys. I wish I had a picture of the looks on their faces! The oldest, maybe 10 thanked me for some reason. I told them why I was collecting the squirrel and went on my way. This was a first for me so I needed to "Google" what to do to preserve the tail without the stench. Since that day, I became a hunter and my son and I took a few more. Plenty of squirrel tails here. Next time I save the pelt for making dubbing too!

would love to have seen those kids faces!! kudos to you cause i would have told them : "its great in stew!"

Late spring these three young boys were walking on the road leading to my house. They were looking at a freshly killed squirrel in the middle of the road (I'd seen it on my way to the deli). I was headed home and as the boys watched, I pulled to the side, got out of the vehicle, never said a word, walked over to the poor little road kill, popped it into a bag the deli put my rolls in ("yes" I removed the rolls - ewww), and look up at the boys. I wish I had a picture of the looks on their faces! The oldest, maybe 10 thanked me for some reason. I told them why I was collecting the squirrel and went on my way. This was a first for me so I needed to "Google" what to do to preserve the tail without the stench. Since that day, I became a hunter and my son and I took a few more. Plenty of squirrel tails here. Next time I save the pelt for making dubbing too!

So, how about sharing with us the preservation procedure, or, at least, a link to the method. Lots of squashed cat squirrels in my neighborhood. Never have figured out why they run out in front of a car, get halfway across the street only to turn around to go back........increasing their chance of becoming a squirrel rug.

One of the guys in my fly fishing club preps his own skins. I doubt he has ever purchased natural materials. He gave me some starling one year. Said he looked out his den window and saw a flock in the yard. Grabbed his 410 shot gun, slowly slid the window open and ..........

He would skin the critter and stretch the pelt across a board using nails. Cover it with borax and let it set a few days. Dump off the borax and repeat. How many times he did this depended on if the borax was dry when he dumped it off.

Another gentleman hit 3 or 4 Guinea in the road. He stopped and picked them up. He skinned them and used the borax method to dry them. That is some of the nicest Guinea I have gotten my hands on.

So, how about sharing with us the preservation procedure, or, at least, a link to the method. Lots of squashed cat squirrels in my neighborhood. Never have figured out why they run out in front of a car, get halfway across the street only to turn around to go back........increasing their chance of squirrel rug.

Hi - Roland...

For a tail, leave the bone in. Put the cut end in your regular table salt for 24 hours. After that, dump the salt and put the cut end of the tail in a new batch of salt. We let that go for six more days. While it may not need that long - no harm done. No smell and you can tie a bunch of streamers.

For the skin, my son is the expert (to be). He's done three; here's how:

1. Make sure there is no meat on the skin, if you're careful skinning the beast that should not be a problem.

2. Get a piece of wood large enough to pin the skin down onto. We used push pins to stretch the skin out until it's as tight as needed to keep it flat.

3. Same deal with the salt type as the tail preservation but be sure to cover all "the" of the fleshy side of the skin! Tick, tick, tick...24 hours...

4. Dump salt and scrape skin well to remove old salt.

5. Salt again... Tick, tick, tick...3 days...

6. Dump salt and re-salt once more. Tick, tick, tick...3 days...

7. Scrape skin to remove salt.

8. Unpin and make dubbing.

That's next for me, i.e, learning how to make dubbing from the squirrel fur. I think Flytire posted a link here in the forum to an awesome write up about dubbing I bookmarked and I need to see if there's instructions in there. Here's the link:

http://thelimpcobra.com/2013/01/08/fly-tying-2/

HTH! Have fun. I'm hoping to get squirrel next weekend but I really need to go "FISHING"!

Thanks a bunch gentlemen, especially Freddo, that was a long, detailed post! I will certainly give it try. This is one great forum for us noobs, I learn something new everytime I come here!

Thanks a bunch gentlemen, especially Freddo, that was a long, detailed post! I will certainly give it try. This is one great forum for us noobs, I learn something new everytime I come here!

Please let us know how you make out. Funny thing happened yesterday... Within an hour after my post explaining the instructions, we were heading to a cousins for a get together and there was a freshly killed squirrel a minute from the house. Now that was not funny for the squirrel but with all the talk of grabbing up road kill to turn into fly tying material.

I was a newb here too early this year! We all were at some point right? I've still got a lot to learn but also happy to share what I've got working for me. This is by far one of the best places to be when not at the tying desk or on the river regarding fly fishing. The people here are wonderful!

Have fun!

Oh yeah...I just read on another thread that you're looking for a vise. You're gonna be tying bass flies. The hooks are gonna be fairly big by most standards...2/0 and 3/0 are pretty common. You wanna do poppers. This may require strong thread, so you might pull pretty hard at times. The jaws on that vise need to be able to handle that. And a clamp base or heavy pedestal should be at least considered [i use a clamp most of the time]. Good luck, man. Cheers, Edattachicon.gif012.JPGattachicon.gif028.JPG

Did you tie those poppers up Ed ? If so ....great job ...very consistent .

I just found a site last night called Blue Quill Angler........this place has everything and, from what I have seen so far, the prices are pretty good!

I just found a site last night called Blue Quill Angler........this place has everything and, from what I have seen so far, the prices are pretty good!

I've used them twice recently and was happy. If you like Dai-Riki hooks, they were just running a special and may still be. As a new customer, for my second order I was able to receive a 10% off promo code. So far so good with them. Oh and shipping was free for both orders - that is always a plus!

Oh yeah...I just read on another thread that you're looking for a vise. You're gonna be tying bass flies. The hooks are gonna be fairly big by most standards...2/0 and 3/0 are pretty common. You wanna do poppers. This may require strong thread, so you might pull pretty hard at times. The jaws on that vise need to be able to handle that. And a clamp base or heavy pedestal should be at least considered [i use a clamp most of the time]. Good luck, man. Cheers, Edattachicon.gif012.JPGattachicon.gif028.JPG

Did you tie those poppers up Ed ? If so ....great job ...very consistent .

@retrocarp

Yeah, I'm still looking. That's the easy part, it's coming up with the $$$ this time of year that's tough......especially, with the wife giving it all away!!

I'm looking real hard at a Griffin Odyssey Spider Cam Vise.

Does it look like a substantial enough vise to you? It is right on the bleeding edge of what I could afford!!