Fly Tying
bigfoot

Hare Line Bulid Your own Custom Dubbin Kit

For $60.00, you can buy enough dubbing from http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/ to last about ten years (unless you are a professional tier). And they have dubbing that you're not going to get from you average sweater or dubbing mixes.

Gotta agree with Mike on that one ......."It's not often he's right ...but he's right again !"

Can people please stop mentioning FTD! At this rate I am going to need another room just for the materials I have from there!

Nick... Don't encourage him!

Mate it's a cost effective way of buying fly tying gear ......just saying LOL

I toured the Wapsi Flytying Compsny in Mountain Home, AR several years ago. The tour was part of the Southern Council FFF Conclave. I still remember the machine they used to make dubbing. They bought it from a cigarette company that used it to make the filters on filtered cigarettes. The machine was about the size of a large washing machine. They put the dubbing in large garbage bags. They had a great system for packaging the dubbing for distribution. They hired women who worked out of their home who would make up the little packages we tyers ultimately buy. It provided good income for women with small kids who could work from home.

The profit margin on the dubbing must be phenomenal.

Dave

I deal with mostly natural dubbing. I do a lot of dyeing so I buy fairly large quantities, more than most tyers would use in several lifetimes. I have lots of wool cards and combs to suit the many different fibers that I use. The Hareline kit looks to me like it is best for longer, coarser fibers. In my view the best hand cards for tyers that use mostly natural fibers would be a pair of cotton/fur hand cards. These not only align the fibers but also remove a lot of minute fibers. If you ever had a wool sweater that "pilled" then you are familiar with these minute fibers. They gather together into little balls called nits or pills. If I were to load my fur cards with hare's ear dubbing, for example, and carded the dubbing over a sheet of paper it would soon be covered with a dusting of these fibers. These fibers tend to mat the dubbing