Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hoghunter38

Minnow body patterns

New to the forum guys because of a question. Looking for some links,videos,etc.. For Flashabou minnow body. I have access to some ponds,& creeks that I want to try some bait fish patterns. Thanks all

For fishing small lakes and ponds, I recommend staying small with your presentations, too. A small "panfish Charlie" tied with some added flash will attract some big attention.

This is my "Panfish Attractor" that I tied up trying to develop a weedless fly. Bead chain eyes, dubbing body, a little flash and Raccoon tail hair for the "wing". I like Raccoon because it stays "bushy" even when wet.

It was only after posting pictures of it that someone pointed out it looked a lot like a "Charlie".

The only flash in mine is a small amount for the tail fibers. I believe too much flash, in small waters, makes the fish a little more wary of the offering.

Most ponds in the south have fat head minnows and bream...any pattern that imitates them will work. They grow up eating them and even a 10# bass will attack a 2" minnow if you drop it in their face and present it as wounded.

My two go to flies for this type of fishing are a white or natural Muddler Minnow in sizes 12-6 with a little flash in them or a Matuka style streamer(same sizes) made with grey rabbit fur. Both are simple time proven flies that catch anything that swims.

I can't tell you how many times I have approached a pond looking to catch bass with big "Bass" flies and zero,nothing...go screw it I just want to catch something today..tie on a size 8 grey Matuka and tear them up. Don't be afraid to use small flies to catch big fish.

b960771b-cc3d-4d8b-96f3-fc313c75a85a_zps

These little "Fat Head" divers(top row)also work well in ponds in sizes 10-8 for bream,crappie and bass. If they aren't hitting top water pull them under with a sink tip or a sinking poly leader.

IMG_6311_zpsybs1nbgp.jpg

I don't use flashabou in fresh water, in fact I don't really like it for salt either. My minnow patterns I keep because they work. They tend to be rather simple. That said I've had Black Nosed Dace work about everywhere and I generally tie mine with a gold rib. So silver tinsel body with gold rib. I also tie minnows with Syn Yak in various patterns, mostly my own design or sometimes spin offs of classic patterns but using synthetics. Just not flashabou. Craft Fur too, I tie herring frey with craft fur, the frey gang up to go out the streams around here, there will be clouds of them aroudn teh shore line in lakes and ponds under attack by some ofn the biggest fish of the year like right now !.

Wooly Buggers work everywhere, the fly that doesn't look like any particular thing but fishes like about every bait around here ( pass for crayfish fished deep, pass for dragon fly nymphs tied dark, pass for minnows fished in the shallows. Tied in the right proportions, size and colors it can pass for a Hex Nymph. My peacock herled bodied ones have caught salmon when stoneflies are around up in Maine.. Big Brook trout in Maine. I think all the biggest fish gotten up there were on Wooly Buggers. Caught big browns in the winter in still waters ( the years we were lucky and it didn't freeze over all the way across that is) using full sink line and 6 wt or even 7 wt to swing it..

Hey Hoghunter, welcome to the site. Are you looking for flashabou tubing? If so, I believe Bearsden has it...If not, I would try JS Stockard or Feathercraft. The flashabou tubing looks good and is very easy to work with. Good luck and regards, Ed

Yes, my Syn Yak came from Bears Den. They are very well stocked there in both synthetics and natural materials.

Here's a floating minnow pattern I dug up. I've personally tied a dozen of these and had pretty good success. This pattern utilizes foam and mylar tubing and is quite flexible to tie in a variety of sizes. Coloration is achieved through the type of mylar you want to use and waterproof markers. Hope this helps. Nice popper you done good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzxOq46s2bQ