Fly Tying
netabrookie

Safety Pin Swap

Mine came in the post yesturday, only just opened it now! WOW! Fantastic Everyone! What brand crystal flash did you use Breambuster? I want to try & by some! Thankyou for hosting Tony! And Thankyou Rex W for posting the beautiful photos!

It looks like everyone except Breambuster and Riff has received theirs. I checked the tracking numbers and it said that Riff's is still in the Fancy Gap sorting facility and Breambuster's number isn't even in the system. The Fancy Gap post office is where I mailed them from so at 7:45 this morning I am going to be there demanding some answers and explanations. I miss my friend that worked there as the post master because he knew his job and listened to what you were saying but the woman that is there now thinks she knows what you and her are doing but evidently she doesn't have a clue. I'm sorry for the mixup BB and Riff and I will try my best to get this straightened out.

Well, I am back from my trip to the post office and I am still confused... I was told that Breambuster's package was delivered on Dec. 14 and the only information that she had on Riff's is that the package left the Fancy Gap post office on Dec. 12. I tried to be nice and polite but when she grabbed my notebook out of my hand and stated in a high pitched voice that they never kept any packages there I was at a loss for words. I was still nice and polite but that woman (I refuse to say "lady" because a lady doesn't act that way) does not belong in that job at all. The tracking numbers that I have are:

Breambuster-9114901496450280256426

Riff-9114901496450280256464.

I hope that the packages have already been delivered and Riff and BB just forgot to mention it but if they haven't and I go back to the post office and have my notebook snatched from my hand I WILL NOT be nice and polite again.

Sorry, Net. Just busy-ness as usual. They arrived some time ago, and they are really nice. I'm going to enjoy wearing them on my hat.

BB

Adam, I'm not sure about the krystal flash. But it was either the plain, old, regular Krystal Flash of else it was the UV krystal flash from Spirit River. I think it was the UV. Use either the pearl or the lime green Krystal Flask. If you would like to know how effective that pattern is for Bluegills, talk to Riff. He swears by it. Tie it on a Standard Dry Fly hook, either #10 or #12. The dubbing is Davy Wooten SLF and the color is Lime Green. The foam is just craft foam from Walmart. The eyes are Medium, Black Mono-Eyes.

Get your thread started on the hook, just behind the eye and start back. Build up 2 little balls of thread just about an eye's length apart and position the post of the mono-eyes between the two balls and then tie in the eye. Advance the thread to the bend of the hook & tie in the tail. Next, run your thread back to the mono-eyes and tie in a strip of foam that is as wide as the gap is wide. Hope that makes sense. I trim mine to a point and it helps get the thread started. Go back to the tail in wide turns of thread so that you don't bind down all the foam. You want to not bind it all down for the sake of buoyancy. Now dub the body all the way back to the eye. Fold the foam that has been extended behind the fly back over the fly and tie it down on both sides of the mono-eyes, Behind the eyes and in front of them. Now tie in your rubber legs, behind and in front of the eyes. Next, more dubbing to cover the thread wraps over the foam and legs, where you tied them down. OK, now fold your foam back over one more time and tie it down right behind the eyes. And tie off. Your last step is to cut the little V out of the end of the foam to make what appears to be small wings. When you do this, you will already have your point on the left over foam to start the next fly. If you need a better explanation about anything, just ask.

BB

Looked at the pictures and those are some awesome looking flies. Is there any chance of some recipes getting posted?

I think they will all work on gills.

The mystery of the missing safety pins has been solved...when I checked my mailbox this evening there was a package with a label on it stating that "we care...we sincerely regret the damage to your mail during handling by the Postal Service. We hope this incident did not inconvenience you..." The original package that I mailed to Riff was inside with the entire back ripped open and tire tread marks all over it. The Altoids tin was smashed flat and I had to use a flat screwdriver to work around the edge of the lid to pry it open. I was amazed to see that a few of the safety pins actually survived but the rest didn't. I sent Riff a few of my Virginia Wulffs to try and pay him back for a beautiful fly that he sent me but most of the deer hair wings were ripped off. Thanks to all you great swappers sending me some extras I think I have it covered and will mail out another box as soon as I am off work. Sorry for the delay Paul, I will make it right and get you some pins in the mail as soon as possible.

Take Care,

Tony

Looked at the pictures and those are some awesome looking flies. Is there any chance of some recipes getting posted?

Which patterns are you interested in? You may get better results by asking for the recipe for a specific pattern or two.

There's not much to the fly I tied, just 2mm craft foam, some version of Cactus/Ice/etc.-style chenille in medium, and some rubber legs. The tail is optional, the fish don't seem to care either way, but squirrel tail (harder to work with), arctic fox, marabou, or any version of synthetic hair will all work fine. I usually tie it on a size 10 Mustad 3366 hook, because I give a lot of them away.

Just pick your favorite color, it's an easy fly to tie. :)

Expo_spiders_zpsnkl8oasx.jpg

I will quit worrying now because the USPS tracking show that the safety pins were delivered to Riff yesterday.

Thanks and Take Care everyone,

Tony

I showed the pins in my local fly shop before Christmas, both guy's said don't put that black one on your hat by itself, someone will come & wack it! If that's not a complement netabrookie, then i don't know what is! Thanks again!