Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Trout Swap Series

BB good point on the postage if you tell them what you are doing they will put stamps on the inside envelope. You did a great job with critique on all the flys. I would say you have some of the same treats as mine. Ribbing could be a little more even, I think on mine the the issue started with not being consistent with the width of the dubbing when I applied it. Other then that thorax could be a little more defined. 2 issue I struggle with but nice proportions I am sure the fish will it them right up. Can't wait to get a nice set of flys in the mail god job by everyone!

Thanks Bream,

I really appreciate, and accept the criticism. the Idea here was to better our tying skills and learn. I am all about learning.

I dont use Altoids, but the Mrs. does. I steal her box or buy another fly box for the next set.

I seemed to struggled a bit with the pheasant , Mostly on the front legs, they were a pain in the butt. i think it was mostly due to the feathers. The ones I have aren't the best quality either so that probably compounded my frustration.

Thanks again for a great swap and I'm looking forward to the soft hackle. already starting to tie.

PJ, not sure if you've ever used j stockard for tying supplies but they have whole pheasant skins great quality cheap I think around $10 plus if you sign up for their newsletter you get free shipping ive spent over $300 in materials from them in the past couple weeks and cant say enough good things.

I do use J Stockard as well as a host of other suppliers. The Pheasant tails i have are from the wild. I had the pleasure of wacking a few this past summer with my truck so they became part of my supplies . ( Got a twenty five pound male turkey the same week) I will probably invest in a few tails from Stockard's as well. Just hate to see things go to waste.

I will, Riff. I'm looking forward to trying out the Mayfly. Tell me about the wings. They look very realistic. Much more than just a suggestion of a wing. It looks like the thing could fly away. What are they made of, and how hard are they to get them tied in? PM me if it's a secret.

Take care

BB

As BB wrote in his initial swap post, maybe others of us would be happy to comment on the flies, and if you like it, then please read here.

I might be a little hard in my critics, and not point out so much the good things, please don't take it up in a bad way, but belive me, when I say, that the flies all will catch fish, but if you wish to improve on fly tying (and won't we all?), then a few tips, tricks and comments might help.

First fly first, Riff:

A funny mix between a stone fly nymph and a mayfly nymph.
Mayflies have 3 tails and stone flies 2.

Regarding the tail, it might be on the long side, typical tails on nymphs are much shorter.

The body material is wrapped ok, but a little more care could have been used, not to make the wraps overlap.

Also, it is advisable to build a smooth tappering body with the tying thread before wrapping the body material. makes it easier.

Next, Kennebec12

The fly in general has a funny look to it, as if it is out of proportions. Just like a young growing dog with legs too long and clumpsy.

The Tail is way too long.

The hind hook is nicely wrapped, however it looks like there is glue connecting the hooks. That hinders movement and males the fly stiff, not moving like articulated flies are supposed to.

The front hook, thread is visible at the bend, make sure to cover thread with materials.

A tip when connecting hooks, is to make some kind of collar with a soft material to hide the connection (not too long).

The "wings", or legs are way too long also.

And finally, count your wraps, it will make it easier to make smaller heads. The head here is big. 2-3 wraps is all it takes to fasten material, cut the left overs and cover everything in the end, not in between different materials.

And, Vicrider:

Nice tails and Wings.

The hackle is on the longer side, tips of fibers should stop at hook point.

The head agsin here... it looks like you have the idea, that more wraps make it more robust? it is not the case, actually more wraps make a less robust fly, more wraps, that can come little loose will sum up and make athe fly loose and falling appart (glue or varnish helps of cause).

DavidR:

Small flies makes the errors smaller ;-) That is a trick used by many, including myself.

As BB already wrote, the tails are a little off, the need to be either on top both of them, og on side both of them.

I personally think the body should have been a wrap or two longer, and the thorax a little shorter and less bulky, but that is personla preference.

the rest of the fly is good.

Fishingbobnelson:
You don't need to build your skills on this patterm, you tie it very well!

Maybe make the head even smaller, or put in some antennas or wing buds or similar to make it more challeging?

Add147:

Just a few comments.
Thread vissible at tail. Wings tilting upwards because of excess of material behind tie in point.
Hackle too long and stiff.

To much thread behind bead, less thread will make the bead hide your thread, making the fly look better.

WetSock:

Thread at tail and bulky head.

Tail on the long side, look at some real live pictures of nymphs and measure tails vs body length.

Maybe better placement of wings/legs could be desired also.

Joseph Russell:

Tails a fraction too long.

Body could be more cigar shaped instead of cylidric.

Legs looks funny.

Head on the large side.

Pica:

Very bulky tail, nymphs in general has much less tailing.

The wing-buds needs to be wider and more visible.

The head is ok in size, however I would have placed in on the deerhair sticking out.

PJ2:

Tails length and placement.

thread at tail.

Head!!

BB:

Long tails.

a narrow waist between body and thorax, only wasps has that ;-)

A little more wing bud is needed to make it more visible.

The head should be reduced in size.

Length of legs are good, however they might need to point a bit more downwards.

Hope all of you can use my input :-)

To get the most out of it, please read through all of the critics and see if you might learn a bit of tricks.

Happy tying.

Henrik

Henrik, Thank you that is just the information I was looking for. At first blush your critique seems harsh but it is very accurate and immensely helpful.

Thanks Henrik, I wondered about body length myself then started to worry about crowding the eye - on my local we actually do have a little black stonefly during the winter that goes down to size 20.

Henrik, Thank you that is just the information I was looking for. At first blush your critique seems harsh but it is very accurate and immensely helpful.

Glad it helped, it is send with best intentions for all to be better. I myself learn a lot just looking and commenting on flies. Seeing and explaining "errors" often is rather demanding, because one need to know how to do it to help other do it better.

Thanks Henrik, I wondered about body length myself then started to worry about crowding the eye - on my local we actually do have a little black stonefly during the winter that goes down to size 20.

Typically ½ the shank is for body, the other half is for thorax and head. that way it ends up being 2/3 body and 1/3 thorax. Adjust on the fly.... (Pun intended)

/Henrik

My box of flies arrived today, thanks to all those that participated! What a great looking bunch of nymphs.

Henrik, First THANK YOU SO MUCH for your comments on our flies. That is exactly what I hoped you and others would do. I REALLY appreciate it.

Now, let me ask you a couple of questions about my fly to make sure that I understand. First, the wing buds. I assume that is the same thing that I called the "shellback?" The fibers one ties in at the rear of the thorax, folds over the thorax and ties down at the head? When you say more are needed to make it more visible, you're talking about a larger clump to start with? More fibers to make up the shellback/wing buds?

And as to the wings, themselves, you said pointing more downward. Should they be parallel to the hook shank instead of angling up, or should they be angling down, below the hook shank?

Thanks again. Great job of helping us with the information we need to improve.

BB

My box arrived this afternoon, very nice set of nymphs, all look very fishable to me.

Henrik, thanks for the kind words and the suggestions. I am always open to ideas that will make me a better tyer.

Got mine today and very pleased by work of all. Henrik your comments are well thought out on mine and others flys and really help. This is just what I was hoping for.