Fly Tying
Lucian.Vasies

Winged Nymphs

Hi guys,

This is one of my nymphs ( from winged nymphs series ) that catches trout anytime. It's not a classic fly, it's an interesting hybrid between a jig nymph and a streamer. What is so special about this fly? The way it behaves in water.It's a fly with lots of movement, you can play it behind a rock until trout will take it. Just jig it and it will be irresistible for fish smile.png

12108812_937343436335963_866238614949799

cheers,

Lucian

WOW that is cool looking...Is that jig head or something you custom make up instead? It has some incandescent qualities sort of to the head I think or am I just seeing things???

Lucian,

What is the head weight on that fly? And, what weights do you using for tying these? I tie quite a few of these with maribou, flash, wrapped or woven bodies. They are successful because, if not fishing top-water, the various weights get the nymphs where the fish are.

Thanks!!

Ray

Hi guys,

@ Vicrider

- Is Madd rabbit dubbing used for body : in fact is hare mask hair.

@ Harold

- depends of size, between 0.5grams up to 1.5grams. Sometimes I use bigger hooks - size #8 or #6 and the weight can be 2grams.. I prefer to use CDC instead of marabou. I used marabou but the results was not so good like with CDC.

best,

Lucian

Nice pattern and no doubt very effective. My question to the forum is "what's the big deal"? Jigs have been used to catch fish for thousands of years, in one form or another. I'm not taking anything away from the pattern- I am saying fly fishermen see this (and tons of others) as some sort of revolutionary concept.

I have been using CDC also. I thought I would try tying on jigheads to see how things worked out, did, and then they worked well on the rivers here, so they are a winner in Texas.

Ray