Fly Tying
fbhenry

Razoring Flies and Re-using Hooks

I try to be as accurate at possible with proportions to the extent I measure them when I'm tying. May sound like a hassle but its very simple and fast just use the points of your scissors, if the tail is suppose to be the length of the body just set the points on the hook shank, hold them in place and transfer the measurement to the tail. I do this because I want to be consistent and I want my flies to look as good as I can make them. They may all come out looking like crap but at least they'll all look crappy in the same way.

I think I would rate flies in three ways. Flies that look great, flies that "are fishable" real meaning, it looks really bad but it might catch fish, and last are the ones you look at when your finished tying and say to yourself, "I don't know what that is!", those are the ones I take the razor to before they come out of the vise.

You talked about the materials black hole. Today I left my black lab home for a couple hours when I got back he wasn't acting normal, I went up to my office and fly tying area, he stayed downstairs, not normal for him, I found a few small feathers on the floor by my bench. The only thing left of my new ginger saddle hackle, he even ate the plastic bag it was in. $$$$$

Oh man, I have dogs that have damaged and consumed various expensive items in our household, but that would have definitely ruined my day. The capes and saddles are the real minefield for me now, given the price and just trying to track them down. I feel OK just buying the cheaper dubbing assortments, the hooks, a tool here and there, but sometimes I feel like I am in the market for a fly reel when I peruse the offerings from Metz and Whiting. Prices have changed since I last tied in the early nineties. I'm on the hunt for a blue dun to tie some BWOs and it feels like a quest, and I get anxious knowing that a good investment in one is probably more than 50 bucks. I take heed of all the good advice to tie with what one has, but I still want to get the product for certain flies, you know? Meanwhile, I tie with what I have and hope my dogs, which have sniffed around my Metz and hare's mask, don't feel like having a snack when I'm not looking.

Cheers,

Fred

All I have to worry about is one of my cats playing with something. I make sure nothing sharp or pointed is out where they can get to it.

Dogs are too much like children. I am very glad I don't have either.

I try to be as accurate at possible with proportions to the extent I measure them when I'm tying. May sound like a hassle but its very simple and fast just use the points of your scissors, if the tail is suppose to be the length of the body just set the points on the hook shank, hold them in place and transfer the measurement to the tail. I do this because I want to be consistent and I want my flies to look as good as I can make them. They may all come out looking like crap but at least they'll all look crappy in the same way.

I think I would rate flies in three ways. Flies that look great, flies that "are fishable" real meaning, it looks really bad but it might catch fish, and last are the ones you look at when your finished tying and say to yourself, "I don't know what that is!", those are the ones I take the razor to before they come out of the vise.

You talked about the materials black hole. Today I left my black lab home for a couple hours when I got back he wasn't acting normal, I went up to my office and fly tying area, he stayed downstairs, not normal for him, I found a few small feathers on the floor by my bench. The only thing left of my new ginger saddle hackle, he even ate the plastic bag it was in. $$$$$

Oh man, I have dogs that have damaged and consumed various expensive items in our household, but that would have definitely ruined my day. The capes and saddles are the real minefield for me now, given the price and just trying to track them down. I feel OK just buying the cheaper dubbing assortments, the hooks, a tool here and there, but sometimes I feel like I am in the market for a fly reel when I peruse the offerings from Metz and Whiting. Prices have changed since I last tied in the early nineties. I'm on the hunt for a blue dun to tie some BWOs and it feels like a quest, and I get anxious knowing that a good investment in one is probably more than 50 bucks. I take heed of all the good advice to tie with what one has, but I still want to get the product for certain flies, you know? Meanwhile, I tie with what I have and hope my dogs, which have sniffed around my Metz and hare's mask, don't feel like having a snack when I'm not looking.

Cheers,

Fred

This is off topic but look into the 100 packs of hackle from feather emporium.

I'm on the hunt for a blue dun to tie some BWOs and it feels like a quest, and I get anxious knowing that a good investment in one is probably more than 50 bucks. I take heed of all the good advice to tie with what one has, but I still want to get the product for certain flies, you know? Meanwhile, I tie with what I have and hope my dogs, which have sniffed around my Metz and hare's mask, don't feel like having a snack when I'm not looking.

just buy the best quality feathers you can afford. quality comes at a cost (no further eludicating required)

take a look at collins hackles. youll get the neck and saddle for one price

dont leave your materials laying around for the dogs to get into. its not really theyre fault if they do

I've kept single edge razors in my case for decades, they come individually wrapped in a cardboard or thick paper sleave from Lawson Products. The Tack-It B1 at Amazon Prime is the same blade ( 100 pack for $4.70 I think I read). I've never cut myself and at one point in time I used those in place of scissors in my tying. At ( before I retired) work I used the same blades to aid in stripping decals off of commercial trucks, same thing, never cut myself. But if it just plain bothers someone to use them as is then get a cheap retractable box cutter that accepts those kind of blades.

Bubba Nui is a fly tier. He's not very good at computer stuff though, so he asked me to reply to this thread for him.

He says, "Only wimps use single edge razors! Double edge razors have served the purpose for decades! You might get a cut once in a while, but suck it up and keep tying!!!"

He also asked me to include his photo.

31fgf1OLIFL.SX500_SY115_CR,0,0,500,115_P

At Amazon for $5 and change. note that it says 12 pack. Then the 100 replacement blades were $4.70 or what ever I said yesterday.