Fly Tying
fbhenry

Razoring Flies and Re-using Hooks

i think we're all getting the gist of how to cut materials off of a hook. its not rocket science :)

box cutters, utility knives, xacto knives, single or double edge razor blades, boy scout pocket knife, pliers, grandmas butter knife, butane lighters, hacksaw blades, etc etc etc ad nauseum

just use what you have on hand

there is no right or wrong way of doing it

Fly tying Supreme Master Sensei says, "Only cutting tool needed for all fly tying, is Katana!!"

"Practice 10,000 times until you can cut ALL thread from hook, one swing!!"

I just looked up Princess Auto and yes ... it is very much like Harbor Freight. Cheap tools that satisfy a need for one or two uses, and then need to be replaced.

Most of my saltwater hooks I will salvage. I tie on mostly Gamakatsu and starting to use some of the Partridge hooks. Very rarely do I try to save the materials because they tend to get all over the place and hard to use when they get all out of sorts. Flies I don't like I will fish myself or use them for toothy critters like Bluefish. The ones that are not bad but I can't sell I will give to friends or others that are new to the sport.