Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyguy613

S. Dungeon

Been tying alot of these Sex Dungeon streamers lately, ive tied over ten of them now and am finally happy with the way they are starting to look. Here are my two from today, I finished the chartreuse one a few hours ago and really like the way the head turned out. I feel I definitely could have done better with the collars and will work on that. Any constructive criticism welcome. Going to be tying tons of streamers over winter for next years Trout season.

Front Hook: Mustad Deer Hair / Stinger 2

Rear Hook: Mustad Deer Hair / Stinger 4

Tail: Maribou

Body: Ice Chenille / Schlappen

Connector: 30lb powerpro braid

Beads: Silver glass beads

Eyes: Painted barbell eyes

Head: Deer Hair

Rubber legs

Thread: Veevus 150D GSP

2ibokya.jpg

2460yet.jpg

post-55702-0-86298900-1445646133_thumb.jpg

post-55702-0-85084700-1445646142_thumb.jpg

Excellent job! The density and shape of your heads looks great! I'm still trying to master the heads of my SDs. One suggestion, I add a zonker strip to the top of both hooks to give it a little fuller profile and some lateral color dimension.

12079107_10206708037331276_1851460665519

How do you get the hair packed so nicely around the eyes?

I started tying large streamers last year. Your ties look great! Pay attention to the proportions. You want the front of the fly to be slightly bulkier than the tail section. Even many well seasoned tiers have trouble with proportions, including myself. It's just a matter of practice. Keep at it. I'm certain your flies will fish just fine!

Is the SD a hot fly right now, i just heard of it last week while taking a buddy pike fishing. thats what he was tossing.

Excellent job! The density and shape of your heads looks great! I'm still trying to master the heads of my SDs. One suggestion, I add a zonker strip to the top of both hooks to give it a little fuller profile and some lateral color dimension.

12079107_10206708037331276_1851460665519

How do you get the hair packed so nicely around the eyes?

Thanks very much for the compliments my friend. Your Dungeon looks really mean, I dig it! I like the headshape of yours a tad more honestly, how the eyes are at the bottom more like the actualy pattern. I find I just wreck it when I try and form that shape but ill try again of course. Thanks for the rabbit strip idea I have certainly thought of it and will definitely tie some variants soon with barred zonker strips. One reason I will continue to tie alot like this is I feel the maribou weights less than rabbit when wet and my plan is to be throwing these on a fast 6 weight with sink tip next year any weight savings might be nice but ill still have some tied up. These dungeons Im doing are about 4 inches in length, I know people tie them much larger. I took my time on stacking a ton of hair in there and then shaving er down, the chartreuse one may be too tight lol well see.

@Igotwood - thank you, I see now alot of them tied do in fact have bulkier fronts I work on it

Most recent dungeons, finally on the black and purple one I think I am finally getting the head shape I want. I hated the way the last ones heads were shaped.

15sa73t.jpg

14afkna.jpg

those deer hair heads LOOK great- not as much hook gap remaining In My Opinion, for what that's worth. Especially the all-black one.

Flyguy613 ... You've graduated. You can start posting your flies in the Fly Tying forum instead of the Beginner's forum.

Thanks very much.

It's great to see evolution, even with this one pattern I've practised alot and it shows. The first flies I posted in this thread and the recent ties seem to be night / day difference