Fly Tying
Bruce M

Fly Tying Symposium

We always get heckled by the guys who only fish for trout. They don't considered us real fly tyers. It's sad when folks in a salt water club start organizing trips to fish for trout in PA because of the heckling. I always bring the size 32 Royal Wulff that I tied when I could actually see something that small and lay it next to one of my big salt water flies. And there's always someone who asks us to show them how to tie a woolly bugger. Fortunately, most of us are capable of showing them how to tie one.

We always get heckled by the guys who only fish for trout. They don't considered us real fly tyers. It's sad when folks in a salt water club start organizing trips to fish for trout in PA because of the heckling.

I always tell the occasional avid trout fishermen who chooses to make snide remarks that in Texas we don't fish for bait. I fish for bass, catfish, alligator gar, and a variety of other species from kayaks in fresh- and saltwater that would eat trout in a flash. Thinking trout are the only fish you can use a flyrod on shows an abysmal lack of knowledge or excessive ego. Fortunately, there are not that many who act like that.

Ray

How did this discussion get to this conclusion ^^

I'm certain Philly understood my post was in jest and just playing off his self deprecating comment in his own post.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings, certainly wasn't meant to.

There is only one fly fare,expo in Finland each spring & i have been there 4 years in a row since i found out about it! Love it, even thow it's a 2hr drive, have met tyers like Trevor Jones, Barry Ord Clark & Markus Hoffmann! I'll keeper going every year, i love the tying stands were the international tyers are!

No problems with me, Bruce. Tongue was firmly in cheek. We have a lot of fun at the show. We're basically a teaching club and most of the guys who tie at the show are capable of doing both cold, warm and salt water flies. The fun part is figuring what materials to bring to tie with me...just in case someone asks "Can you show me how to tie.. whatever. Lucky I don't drive one of those little cars that look like they cut off the back seat and the trunk. I'd never get the stuff in.

Harold Ray, I actually do fish for trout. Though they do make good bait for live lining for whatever large predator fish live in the local lakes stocked with hatchery trout. Not bad eating either. That's a nice thing about where I live. Plenty of warm water fishing and stocked trout fishing, there's even a wild trout stream, within a half hour of where I live. Salt water is an hour and half east of me. Steelhead five to six hours north. The spring creeks known for large trout are two hours or so west. The Catskills are three hours or so north. If I want to take advantage of and meet the different challenges these venues offer, I had to learn to tie for each. So I'm a jack of all ties and a master of none.

I would love to go to this and the Sowbug Roundup. Just do not have the funds to make the trip. I am hoping to be able to go in the next couple of years.

Question for those that have been.

Method of payment, Is this a cash and carry type of flea market deal or are credit cards okay for most vendors.

I really don't carry too much cash anymore besides an emergency stash and would like to just use the debit/credit card at the upcoming event in NJ.

if i remember correctly, most dealers accepted credit/debit cards

not sure the dealers are equipped with the latest pay with your smartphone technology

bringing a little cash wouldnt hurt

As with Flytire's response, I believe you'll be able to use a credit card. Maybe even a debit card.

Even the food truck guy where I work now accepts credit and debit cards through his phone and a little jacked in reader.

Every place I've been, flea markets too, now have those things.

But cash is ALWAYS a bargaining chip. If you're going to haggle prices, having some bills in hand goes a long way.

Vendors mostly take both, tyers generally cash only. There is an ATM in the lobby of the venue. The symposium is mostly tyers and a few materials vendors - especially Salmon fly and other hard-to-find quality materials. The Fly Fishing Shows in January through March are mostly vendors, guides, and fewer tyers. This show is large but you'll have plenty of time to talk with tyers and learn various tying tips - everything from one-minute trout flies to classic Atlantic Salmon flies and everything in-between. Drop by, I'll be tying Carrie Stevens streamer patterns.

-Peter Simonson

Thanks all for the responses.

I'll take extra cash with me just in case, I'm sure it'll burn a hole in my pocket but that is a main reason why I'll be there., That and of course to see some great tiers at work, I'll look for you Peter.

Thanks for that heads up on the Collins hackle, I do intend on trying some of that.

I think now I'll just skip the check book and credit cards all together and just stop at the bank on the way.

I guess cash is still king.

Looking forward to this.