Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fbhenry

Danville Flymaster 6/0

One thing that I didn't have when I first started tying in the early '90s was youtube. It seems like every dry fly tying video I watch employs Veevus 16/0 or a statement to the effect that "I only tie with 8/0." Now I know the whole aught system and denier system are out of whack, and totally unstandardized, but can someone then explain to me the other tying sites and authorities that say a Danville 6/0 is fine to use for a size 18 or even 22? I primarily want to tie size 12-22 dries at present. I have a huge amount of Danville 6/0 spools. Is this OK or do I have to start shopping for finer threads?

cheers,

Fred

A standard thread for those smaller flies or is very popular anyway is 8/0 Uni. it's thin and strong thread. whether it has the properties you enjoy tying with remains to be seen lol. And that part really comes down to personal choice. The whole Veevus thing has taken off like a whirl wind, it's like the latest and greatest buzz word in thread or Tickle Me Elmo was one Christmas. I've never used it and my flies turn out fine. One day I will get around to trying it.

According to a comparison I read at jStockard, 8/0 Ultra and Danville 6/0 are basically the same diameter. Now comes the question of flat thread vs roped and also waxed. I'm not sure the Danville Flymaster is prewaxed ( I tended to buy waxed in Danville), I believe it runs fairly flat but not as flat as Ultra. I must say that I have a preference to a slightly waxed thread. I have found Ultra to tie down with less roll of materials and less cutting into materials than any other thread I've used, you also get less on a spool LOL. I've been tying some size 16 and 18 midges that I usually use 8/0 Uni on but tried Ultra 8/0 this time, It definitely spreads out over the hook shank more than the Uni. And I've tied those many many times with black Danville 6/0as well. In fact the Danville 6/0 I found to be a good choice for a thread body if I wanted to take a nail file ( or other abrasive) and kind of fuzz up the body a little bit. The Ultra though, looks like a Midge body in the emerging stage I guess, I mean I don't swim with midges so who really knows ! It has it's own look compared with Danville at any rate.

All that said, I've tied many small flies with Danville threads in 6/0, just watch how many extra wraps you take. Why not Go ahead and tie since you own the threads ? They are either coming out the way you want or they are not. And if not and you think it's the thread , then buy something different for that fly. But otherwise if you get a chance along the way pick of a spool of this and or that thread to see how they perform in comparison anyway.. I will say of all the treads I've owned I ran into a spool of black Danville I just didn't like, it may have been nylon , not sure but it liked to twist up. Also a spool of floss that wanted to separate strands badly. And a spool of tan 6/0 that performed well on the hook but liked to break. Those experiences were the extreme for Danville for me. I won't say their threads are bad as a general statement but this happening around the same time period led me to just trust other brands more . So I tend to avoid the Danville threads now because of that experience. Tinsel is fine though, probably wire is fine. But if your thread is working use it !!

Depending on the fly, I've used Danville 6/0 for dries down to #18 and it works fine. For anything smaller, I really like MFC 8/0; it's a flat thread, like Danville, and has decent strength. I've still got a few spools of Gudebrod 10/0 but unfortunately, they discontinued making that a while ago. I tried UTC 70 but find it to be a bit too "flossy".

I've gotten away from Uni 8/0, a bonded thread. For me, it builds up too quickly on smaller flies; ymmv.

Regards,

Scott

Thank you Dave and Scott for the informative responses!

Getting back into this, I have to constantly resist the temptation to go buy whatever I see a tyer using in some tutorial or video, and work with what I have. I'm sure I will test out other threads, but I guess since I have a pile of Danville, I'll use that and distribute my dollars to other materials. I have to admit that besides the information I get from this forum, the reassurance that all is not lost if I don't have the latest and greatest is a huge morale booster.

Fred

Yep Fred, when you see a reason within your flies or have an experience with tying your flies, to change threads, then change threads. Meanwhile a spool here and there as a purchase to try them out might find you a little gold mine. I've used Danville 6/0 down to size 20 Griffiths Gnats. Like SBPatt, Uni 8/0 is Ok but not my favorite. I do keep it in black and in Olive, I have uses for it. But It builds up, doesn't spread out. In that regard I actually prefer the Danville pre waxed but the Uni is stronger, as is Ultra. The Danville has a very moderate spread, builds fairly flat but you have to watch your spool tension closely, it takes a finer adjustment. Not so bad, we aren't anchoring ships, we are tying flies LOL!!

i use veevus 12/0 threads for virtually all of my tying but will use danville 6/0 to help build tapered under bodies

fred

in your case, i would keep using the 6/0 down to about a size 16 and then a smaller size for the rest. you dont need to purchase every color under the sun but black and white 12/0 or smaller may be all that youll need. at least try 1 spool and see if its right for you

white thread and permanent markers are a good combination to get the color that you want

no need to throw out you 6/0 threads. they are definitely useful for other flies

i dont pay a lot of attention on what you tube fly tyers use. if i dont have what theyre using i substitute with what i have

Thanks flytire: I'll soon grab some 8/0 and/or 12/0 to compare on my smaller hooks.

(On a side note, color naming schemes are a mess. I think color choice alone will propel me into other brands)

cheers,

Fred

I use Danville 6/0 Flymaster waxed for just about everything from Steelhead flies down to size 18, sometimes smaller. I'll use other threads when I need more strength or for the really small stuff. My opinion of 8/0 Uni and Ultra is pretty much the same as Scott's.

Thanks Jaydub, I mainly was confused whether 6/0 could tie small flies. And despite the confusion over denier, Danville 6/0 is 70 denier and definitely lies flat (it wraps flat unbonded when I tie it, and sometimes if I I have dry skin I catch an edge and fray it). I'm pretty much confused about most fly tying materials :)

cheers,

Fred