Fly Tying
flytire

how to fix and repair feathers

That is excellent...pretty much anything D McPhail does is worth watching. I've got to say flytire, I appreciate not only your tying, but these contributions you make to this forum. Thank you, Ed

Steam is also good for chenille as well...It will straighten out the chenille if it is all crinkled up and it will also puff out the fibers to make it full and fluffy. I managed to score a electric steam pot for $5 at a garage sale and it works perfect. Use a pair of tweezers to keep from burning your fingers though when working with short pieces.

I've long used steam to prep feathers that have taken a set in storage - and it's a miracle (if you're careful not to overheat your feathers). Here's a tip that will help those learning to steam various materials. If you hold your feathers (or capes or patches) by hand you'll know just how close to the steam they can be - too close and your hand will know it... I alternate steaming with air drying when possible (although if you need those feathers with as little curve as possible then drying them between sheets of paper towel with a light weight on top of the stack (a board, nothing very heavy....) will work pretty well. A lot of the feathers I use (both neck and saddles) come as cheap strung goods not particularly suitable for anything other than saltwater use so learning to steam them as an initial prep came early as I had to be in production mode most times at the bench....

I learned the steam trick on feathers about 46 years ago after taking up bow hunting before plastic vanes and compounds came around. In Florida we get a lot of rain and the arrows feathers would get pretty lousy looking until a little steam perked them right back up.

yes the steaming technique is an old one but new tyers may not have ever heard of it and there are most likely a gazillion other uses as well

Lol, yeah maybe I should have watched the video first, just assumed he used a duck quill.

Great method none the less

I'm gonna try it! I'll hold some feathers next to the misses's ears!

And then tell her what you're really spending on fly tying supplies?