Fly Tying
branden_fritzemeier_67

Best Vice For $120

My problem with the vise is plastic

if major defense contractors can use delrin in their products like submarines, rockets, jet fighters and spacecraft, then i wouldnt think there would be too much to worry about in a tying vise

True, carbon fiber is great stuff. Not sure what this stuff is. I used carbon compound bows and arrows till my shoulder/neck gave out ( car crash not archery).

As of this moment that Danvise is still listed as on sale at J.Stockard, $79 : http://www.jsflyfishing.com/danvise

This review of the vise says it's phenolic.

http://flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/danica_danvise.htm

Since plastics, even glass or carbon fiber filled ones, are not as rigid as steel, more plastic had to be used. That's why the vise looks like it was designed by the Russian military.

I totally agree that the Danvise is an excellent vise for the money. I've tied thousands of flies on mine. Everything from size #26 to 6/0. I sold it this past summer for $30, and "upgraded" to the Montana Mongoose. The jaws on the Danvise were in almost perfect condition after literally thousands of flies tied. I highly recommend watching the Danvise video on how to properly adjust the jaws, because that seems to be a problem for people.

Just remember that choosing a vise is 100% personal preference. Some people will love a vise, others won't. Tying on one is really the best way to choose.

I think it's a lot of vise for the money. The manufacturer thought of everything and put it in the package for a great price. I expect to see more vises made of Delrin in the future, as it can be molded and apparently doesn't take a lot of machining.

I'd like to see it made a little more thin in the head area, if the material is that strong.

ummm

delrin does not = carbon fiber

Yes but jet aircraft ( as in high tech) incorporates Carbon Fiber and Kevlar. Phenolic resins are relatively low tech , if even at least older tech ( though certainly I don't pretend to know much more than that or about iterations that may have been introduced over the years)... We probably have all used some appliance or tool that had phenolic plastic involved. My experience with carbon fiber is limited to my road bike fork and bows and arrows I mentioned earlier.

Delrin is a substance I don't know a whole lot about either, I could probably easily confuse it with nylon if both were colored the same. Except it's supposed to be fairly strong, pliable to some degree and fairly slippery when compared with say, acrylic or styrene. And that is why companies use it as bearing surface material, thrust washers etc.

I'm not a chemist LOL . I have Lots of room for enlightening when it comes to plastics.

Edit: Interesting point of my experience with delrin. In my Crown II reels the cog wedges were delrin I believe. The spool cogs aluminum. They both wore out about equally fast ( well you got to turn the wedges over once, then by the end of their life the spools were worn too. My Orvis Battenkills have some sort of cintered bronze parts, maybe a little hardening on the spool. In ten years basically no sign of wear. Does this mean anything ? Not really, as both companies discontinued those reels. Had they not done that I wouldn't buy another Crown II.

I totally agree that the Danvise is an excellent vise for the money. I've tied thousands of flies on mine. Everything from size #26 to 6/0. I sold it this past summer for $30, and "upgraded" to the Montana Mongoose. The jaws on the Danvise were in almost perfect condition after literally thousands of flies tied. I highly recommend watching the Danvise video on how to properly adjust the jaws, because that seems to be a problem for people.

Just remember that choosing a vise is 100% personal preference. Some people will love a vise, others won't. Tying on one is really the best way to choose.

Switch, since the Danvise sounds to have worked so well for you, why change ? Also, how about a comparison since you now own the Montana Mongoose. I think we all would like to hear your view and of differences experienced.

ummm

Yes but jet aircraft ( as in high tech) incorporates Carbon Fiber and Kevlar. Phenolic resins are relatively low tech , if even at least older tech ( though certainly I don't pretend to know much more than that or about iterations that may have been introduced over the years)... We probably have all used some appliance or tool that had phenolic plastic involved. My experience with carbon fiber is limited to my road bike fork and bows and arrows I mentioned earlier.

Delrin is a substance I don't know a whole lot about either, I could probably easily confuse it with nylon if both were colored the same. Except it's supposed to be fairly strong, pliable to some degree and fairly slippery when compared with say, acrylic or styrene. And that is why companies use it as bearing surface material, thrust washers etc.

I'm not a chemist LOL . I have Lots of room for enlightening when it comes to plastics.

Here's the score on Delrin. http://www.delrinplastic.net/

Phenolic I believe is made from carbolic acid and fabric. It's very dense and used to be used in old radio cases and early electronics to block out interefernce. It's also pretty heavy.

ummm

Phenolic I believe is made from carbolic acid and fabric. It's very dense and used to be used in old radio cases and early electronics to block out interefernce. It's also pretty heavy.

Thanks Gene.

Danville, as far as I know, have not made any changes to the Danvise, other than the extension arm. The "inline" pic is taken with the rotated to where everything lines up.

I've had mine for about 6 years, and the only problem I had with it is the adjustment screw on top, which extends the jaws away from the body, jammed on me. The screw is metal with a plastic cap on it. The cap twisted off and I had to glue it back on. I probably managed to glue it to the rest of the vice.

As near as I can tell, since I haven't disassembled mine, the only metal parts on the vice are the jaws and the 10mm shaft. The rest of it looks like glass-filled nylon. The bearings are the only part that are Delrin.

I have tied from size 22 up to around 3/0 worm hooks, including stacking and spinning deer hair. I have never had an issue with the vise that wasn't operator error. I have no problems at all recommending the vise to anyone looking for an inexpensive true rotary vise.

You have to sneak up on setting the grip on the hooks until you get accustomed to the vise. That is just part of the mystique? charm? enchantment? huh.png of tying on a Danvise. I will admit that I have bought and installed a replacement set of jaws on my vise. I kept the old set as a backup, just in case. The only problem with the old jaws was cosmetic. They still hold a hook as well as the new ones do.

Kirk B.

oops! They make a set of midge jaws, too. I never needed them.

Edited by crazy4oldcars

Interesting. But the video says it has ball bearings, I assumed the tensioning mechanism held the delrin, again assuming there is any delrin in the vise. I watched the video yesterday so by now it's fuzzy !!

ummm

Besides carbonic acid and fabric, is also the resin base phenolic process used in adhesives, resin circuit boards ( an original use actually), Bakelite ( first well known phenolic), pool balls etc. That base Phenol, more exact is Phenol-formaldehyde. And this is in part why I said I'm not up on all the iterations. There are various substrates used in each process, be that wood or other solid particles, and I assume cross linking processes with other plastics, impregnation with paper etc.etc. to say something is made of phenolic plastic doesn't tell us a whole lot then but it is not delrin.

As your "score" on delrin, within the link provided indicates, delrin is associated with moving parts more so than structural parts. bearings , thrust washers etc. And while decidedly a good plastic product, I doubt it can compete with stainless steel ball bearings said to be used ( in the introductory video) inside the rotating mechanism of this or much more costly vises. I associate delrin bushings in a rotating vise as lower quality or at least lower cost.. Might still last a lifetime, I have no idea but to find a higher cost vise using delrin within it's rotating mechanism to me is disappointing. Here with the DanVise we find the opposite ! Lower cost through structural plastic but stainless ball bearings ( according to the video) within the mech.

Something I didn't care for that I heard within the video is it was mentioned that the braking power for rotation was pressure against the bearings. This makes no sense to me, I'd be thinking of bronze bushings or fiber washers for braking instead. It's never a good idea to put side thrust into ball bearings if that is really what is taking place. A stainless against bronze washers wouldn't cost a ton of money. I'd like to know more about this brake or tensioning system.