Fly Tying
branden_fritzemeier_67

Best Vice For $120

DAD .....ARE WE THERE YET !!!!!!

2 hours. and if you ask again when this thread hits 10 pages, the answer will be the same...... 2 hours, lol.

It pains me to add yet another post to this ridiculously long thread, however, I'm a very weak person. "Try some, buy one & just get use to using it!", is the only advice you need. You are not buying your tombstone. If you don't like the vise, sell it and buy another.

My 5-8 year old Peak vise has as "real" of a brake as any other vise. It is a plastic screw which bears against the steel rotating shaft. It is smooth as silk, yet will lock the rotation at any angle. If older (or newer) models use a steel screw, just replace it with a plastic one or put a small piece of plastic between the steel screw and the shaft.

Based on looks alone, I could never own a Danvise or some others. To me, flies are little works of art. Putting art in a clunky vise is akin to serving a fine steak on a paper plate. The vise should not only be functional, but also inspirational and compliment the fly. My modified Peak vise, to me, does this. That J-vise from South Africa is also real nice. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You can't go wrong with the Peak or the Anvil or any vise that YOU like.

gotta luv the 3d printed arm.

i find that the rotary function really is not a go too neccessity, i use it mainly to look at the fly and add head cement. rarely to actually tie a fly fast.

DAD .....ARE WE THERE YET !!!!!!

2 hours. and if you ask again when this thread hits 10 pages, the answer will be the same...... 2 hours, lol.

LMAO..

My price on the Atlas has been a 124.99 shipped for the last 3 years. They had a price increase last month, but I have chosen to just absorb it and maintain the pricing. I also manufacture a very nice bobbin cradle for them at a modest 15.00 more. In the last 3 years, I have sold appx 75 of them, and only had one returned by a customer, as it was not what he was after

ai yi yi.....

look at it this way. do the math.

Basic Peak vise $150

Midge jaws $40

Large jaws $40

Pedestal base or c-clamp $40

Total= $270

Atlas vise $125

One jaw does it all

Includes both pedestal and c-clamp

eric

fresno, ca.

Goduster made a good point, two good points. One, he sold 75 of these Atlas vises and only one came back cause the guy didn't like it. Second, he took it back cause the guy didn't like it, not because of a defect. Cudos to both the vise and Goduster. The vise scores 100% in this case, as non had defects and Goduster scores cause not everyone takes things back based on dislike alone. Goduster scores once more because I think that is about the best price I've seen around as a standard price on that item that wasn't a sale with a limited life span.. That's quite a statement for a smaller operation, places huge like Amazon sometimes won't keep it down like that. I happen to have an Amazon Prime account and do my Christmas shopping there mostly, returns are easy there too but you won't find that kind of pricing all that often really ( except women's cloths sales, they go on and on at Christmas time, if you cut it as close as you can still get it shipped at Christmas time, you have 65% off or something)...

Ya know I bought a $150 bike seat from a local bike shop. I didn't like it, they wouldn't take it back. Last time I ever walked into that shop. Bike seats on road bikes is something very personal, it has to fit your body profile perfectly or you won't get 5 miles down the road and want to be walking, this one did not. I had bought a lot of stuff from this place, multi bikes, tires acc. etc... Just sayin.

OP, when you buy , buy from a place with a good return policy. make sure you know what the return policy is and if you need to use it then use it !!! LOL

Good luck on your choice !

Im really thinking the atlas now.

Macaulay-Culkin-home-alone-150x150.jpg

GOOGLE "anvil atlas vise lowest price" and buy the damn thing from whoever is the cheapest. its not that hard to do

Just don't buy the Vision 2in1 vise! But please, buy something! Lots of even famous tyers use differen't kinds of vises! I bet they all got use to loving what they bought!?!

ai yi yi.....

look at it this way. do the math.

Basic Peak vise $150

Midge jaws $40

Large jaws $40

Pedestal base or c-clamp $40

Total= $270

But you don't need all that. The basic vise will do pretty much everything the average tyer needs. If you decide you really want a different set of jaws or clamp/base, you can buy them later.