Fly Tying
branden_fritzemeier_67

Best Vice For $120

Ill look into it, thanks dave. Its probably gonna be between the one you showed me or a griffin blackfoot mongoose

Ok, one difference is the Atlas has a cam action clamp and the Mongoose is a thumb screw lock. Both have good bases. Watch some Youtube videos on both. Also consider a rensetti Traveler 2000, it has a super drag system on it for the rotary feature. . Not sure if JStockhard stocks that one though.You can look, I'm cooking lunch or I would look for ya LOL !!

The Atlas vise looks good to me and I've read good reviews on them. I like the cam feature rather than a screw tightener on the Griffin. I like the Griffin vises that have the cam lever on them, but they'll cost you a bit more.

Deciding on a vise is like deciding on whether one wears boxers or briefs...LOL...Me personally my first vise HMH which is a good vise but I do not like fiddling around with setting the collar and cam lever every time I change to a different hook. I prefer the Regal vises because you pull the cam handle place the hook in the vise and you are ready to tie. I hope to invest in a Regal Revolution one day but money is sort of tight now. Bottom line is get what you want to get! It a personal choice.

Budgets are important, but if you spend a bit extra now, it will be the last vise you will ever buy. Personally if you were going to stay in that price range and vendor, I'd go for the HMH SX at $115. The Peak would be a better choice however, although I prefer Renzetti or Dyna-King, but all out outside your range. If it were me, I'd save a bit more and buy later if that was what it took.

Well, lunch is cooked. J Stockhard doesn't stock the Rensetti line apparently. Amazon does and it's out of your price range and I know Bears Den stocks it , I believe he sells it for $149.

The Griffin with the Cam Lock is the Montana Mongoose, not the Blackfoot and it's on sale for $175 and change. You know , Some folks like a screw lock, I just don't happen to be one of them. .

You're coming down to one selection if you want to catch that sale price. But vises are everywhere, including ebay.

Here is a review on the Atlas:

Griffin Blackfoot Montana:

Go to rusuperfly.com and spend 5 minutes watching some of the videos on the bottom of the home page. If I didn't already have three high end vises I would have to give this one serious consideration. I agree to buy what you want but if you decide next year and again the year after to buy another vise then so what. You can't have too many toys.

Deciding on a vise is like deciding on whether one wears boxers or briefs...LOL...Me personally my first vise HMH which is a good vise but I do not like fiddling around with setting the collar and cam lever every time I change to a different hook. I prefer the Regal vises because you pull the cam handle place the hook in the vise and you are ready to tie. I hope to invest in a Regal Revolution one day but money is sort of tight now. Bottom line is get what you want to get! It a personal choice.

Yeah that Revolution is awesome but a bit out of my range for now. If I went that far, now I'm in Norvise pricing which may just be my ultimate choice. Both are super vises though.

I really wanted to like the Peak vise, then I tried one. Nope not for me,,Unless I'm missing something I did not like the drag setup for the rotary function. There are better options out there with friction disk drags in them. I'd prefer that.

I just found a vice on ebay called the ffs raptor and it looks like a solid vice. Could you guys give me some input on that?

Never heard of it. Considering that you may one day need something fixed on the fix, why would you want to buy a vise from an unknown source and an unknown vendor?

great info given her guys. how about you ask some of your friends what they use and if you can barrow it and tie some flies on it. when it comes to vises, cheep is cheep. if you want true rotary they you will have to look at vise like Renzetti Traveler, Griffin Odyssey, Griffin Montana Mongoose, Peak. Norevise are great if you tie flies the way he does.

What it a Vise - Something to hold a hook.

What Can A Vise Be - Your Hands, Vise Grips, Simple Bench Vise or a Fly Tying Vise.

What Does It Have To Do - HOLD A HOOK

like the boxer and briefs decision. the only way you will know what is good is if you try one tying what you will tie on it 80% of the time.

Ask a friend, go to a shop or go to a club fly tying night. first hand experience...........

Brad