Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chia

Flies based on materials

Hello,

I have been fly fishing for a rather long time, and started to tie flies several years ago. I quickly became frustrated and stopped tying. Needless to say, I started tying again, and things are going much better this time. I tie mostly W. Buggers and K. Minnows and a few jigs here and there. I fish for Small Mouth and Pan fish in the occasional trout depending on the river.

My question is, without investing a lot cash on materials, what are some other flies I can create with the materials i have on had for Woolly buggers and Klouser Minnows? I have several colors of hackle, chenille, marabou and bucktail, as well as some odds and ends like peacock and a few feathers from a kit.

Thanks,

Chia

Try some peacock herl buggers.

Absolutely, there isn't a fish alive that can resist them. And for bass tie them rather large, even weighted or under wrapped with a thin chenille ( for bulk) and the peacock over wrapped. Form a rope with the peacock herl ( twist it over thread before turning it onto the hook shank) that will help strengthen it up.

You have bucktail, tie some traditional bucktail streamers. Something I've caught fish on where ever I've fished it is the Black Nosed Dace. The only thing I do different with mine is I use silver tinsel on the body and a small oval tinsel rib in gold over that. It's a killer fly and it ends the debate, should I fish with a gold body or silver body streamer, cause this has both ( I stole the idea from the Colorado Spoon I had so much luck with spin fishing). That little variation makes a big difference I find. The original BND, as I recall. calls for braided tubing over the hook shank. I don't do that. I also tie the same basic fly but with purple bucktail. Don't be afraid to experiment with bucktail streamers, they were around long before a lot of the modern patterns were thought of. I've caught rainbow trout and small mouth bass in the same location using them, casting off the bow of my boat. Then went to Maine and threw the same flies in the rivers up there and caught salmon..

i'm always amazed on how many fly patterns can be tied using bucktail by going to GOOGLE and typing "flies using bucktail" or "flies using peacock herl" etc etc etc

i believe the BND was tied with flat tinsel back in 1947 by Art Flick but there are versions with braided bodies

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part129.php

i'm always amazed on how many fly patterns can be tied using bucktail by going to GOOGLE and typing "flies using bucktail" or "flies using peacock herl" etc etc etc

i believe the BND was tied with flat tinsel back in 1947 by Art Flick but there are versions with braided bodies

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part129.php

Very good and good to know ! Yea, the pattern was from the Orvis Fly Tying Guide that used mylar braided tube or tinsel tube, so guess it wasn't original ! lol. I decided to do the flat tinsel and gold oval tinsel rib. I find that makes a difference. It's a great fly at any rate.. Originally I was just looking for a reasonable all purpose match for local bait fish and replacement for that Thomas Colorado spoon but found it to work well just about anywhere I've gone over the last 25 years or so ( besides what ever else).

A lot of people around here swear by the Mickey Finn, admittedly another great classic bucktail fly. I just find the BND more universal personally, both to multi species of fish and waters fished..

Welcome to the site, Chia. Sounds like you've got the basic materials for a TON of different flies.

Don't get bogged down on thinking all materials are expensive, though.

Two or three dollars worth of foam sheets from Michael's, Walmart or Dollar Tree and flips flops from the latter two stores will vastly expand the number of flies you can tie with your existing materials, by giving you a whole range of top water alternatives.

Chia,

Ole mikechell is Mister Frugal indeed...He is a good one to pick his brain on fly tying stuff at the Dollar Store. He won't steer you wrong on that subject as all! Also always check out the clearance section at any hobby store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I work by a Hobby Lobby and I go in there at least a few times a month just to see if there is anything interesting to snap up that is cheap.

Welcome Chia... another good place to shop is JoAnns Fabrics (or most any sewing shop).

Marabou streamers --weight your hook (if desired), then just tie in a marabou feather by it's tip at the bend and palmer it forward. If you run out of feather before you get to the eye, repeat the process. You can mix up the colors of the marabou feathers and get some really interesting effects. Grab one of those strung saddle hackles that is too big for buggers and use it to add a collar just behind the eye of the hook. About as simple as it gets and very effective.

post-36073-0-20394400-1449680150_thumb.jpg