Fly Tying
Roland58

Barbell Eyes, home made

I was going to put this in the SBS section, but, after I saw all the beautiful pics, I thought this was a better place. If anyone finds a need for some barbell eyes and don't have any, here is how I solved the issue:

I have some small pearl beads about the same size as some stick on eyes I have. I opened a paper clip and placed a bead on the end, so that the end of the wire was just inside the bead, then applied a small amount of super glue to the open hole. Capillary action sucked the super glue inside and secured the bead. I then laid the paper clip wire over another bead and marked the length needed to make the barbell. A pair of wire cutters easily cut the wire and don't worry about the sharp end as it will be inside the next bead. Once again, place the bead over the end of the wire with the end just inside the bead and place a very small amount of super glue on the hole.

The next step is to stick an 'eye' on the end of each bead, mix some 30 min epoxy and apply a small amount over the entire bead. I held the barbell with some locking forceps for ease of epoxy application. Build up the epoxy on the very end of each side, the curvature will tend to magnify the eye giving it a 3D look. Once set, attach the 'barbell' to your hook in the conventional manner (figure 8 around the barbell with a build up of thread on each side of the barbell). A touch of super glue on the thread, if preferred, will permanently secure the eyes in place.

I'll try to get some pictures very soon.

I was going to put this in the SBS section, but, after I saw all the beautiful pics, I thought this was a better place. If anyone finds a need for some barbell eyes and don't have any, here is how I solved the issue:

I have some small pearl beads about the same size as some stick on eyes I have. I opened a paper clip and placed a bead on the end, so that the end of the wire was just inside the bead, then applied a small amount of super glue to the open hole. Capillary action sucked the super glue inside and secured the bead. I then laid the paper clip wire over another bead and marked the length needed to make the barbell. A pair of wire cutters easily cut the wire and don't worry about the sharp end as it will be inside the next bead. Once again, place the bead over the end of the wire with the end just inside the bead and place a very small amount of super glue on the hole.

The next step is to stick an 'eye' on the end of each bead, mix some 30 min epoxy and apply a small amount over the entire bead. I held the barbell with some locking forceps for ease of epoxy application. Build up the epoxy on the very end of each side, the curvature will tend to magnify the eye giving it a 3D look. Once set, attach the 'barbell' to your hook in the conventional manner (figure 8 around the barbell with a build up of thread on each side of the barbell). A touch of super glue on the thread, if preferred, will permanently secure the eyes in place.

I'll try to get some pictures very soon.

i did something similar using glass beads and a piece of heavy mono that was burnt on the ends to hold the beads in place.

i just twisted a couple of fringe beads onto a short length of wire (minus the stick on eyes)

damsel%20eyes_zps4xxelsco.jpg

flytire again with a winner :)

i just twisted a couple of fringe beads onto a short length of wire (minus the stick on eyes)

damsel%20eyes_zps4xxelsco.jpg

Very nice, indeed. However, I am not familiar with "fringe beads".....where do you get them and do they come connected where you wrapped the wire?

You might give the stick on eyes with a coat of epoxy a try for a little more realism. Although, I seriously doubt that a predatory fish really notices the eyes. I think they are more of an attraction for the fisherman.

I did notice your tag line.....do you really think that buying flies is cheaper than tying? I got into tying after pricing flies at Academy, Gander Mountain and a few online outlets, they were outrageous. I don't include my time as this is a hobby and I am retired with an abundance of "free" time.

Artimus, never mind on the fringe bead question. I looked up "damsel eyes" and found much information, to include the fact that they are comparatively more expensive. Maybe eBay has a better deal on them.

Nice way of making some fixed eyes, Roland.

Of course, this is one of those areas which proves, "There's more then one way to skin a cat."

Okay, these aren't the best pictures, but, I am limited by a cheapo camera. You should be able to see the difference in the 3D effect using the stick on eye and an epoxy coat. I had these cropped and edited in Photobucket, but, for some reason they would not post from there. Sorry about the poor pics. Clicking on the thumbnails will give you a really big pic!

post-56607-0-45840300-1446423654_thumb.jpg

post-56607-0-59779600-1446423658_thumb.jpg

post-56607-0-07065000-1446423662_thumb.jpg

post-56607-0-43732700-1446423664_thumb.jpg

post-56607-0-14028600-1446423667_thumb.jpg

I like that, Roland. Makes a good looking eye, with a stiff center shaft. They ought to be just about bulletproof, too.

On the subject "buying flies is cheaper". Yeah, I'm afraid it's true for most of us. Add up the cost of all of the equipment and materials you have, then divide by an average fly price to see how many you have to tie to break even. And remember that you have to tie more to break even every time you buy a pack of hooks or a new saddle.

What fools us into thinking it's cheaper is the comparison. You buy a pack of hooks, some chenille and some strung bugger hackle for 10 or 15 bucks and think, "I can tie 100 flies for 15 cents each and come out ahead.", then never tie but 5 or 6 flies. Those 6 flies just cost you around 2 dollars each, and before you recoup the cost, you buy more materials for a different fly and start all over again.

This is a little bit simplified, because eventually you will use some of the hackle for a streamer or 2, and the hooks for a hopper pattern, but you can see the logic.

It really *is* cheaper to buy flies, but it isn't as convenient or as adaptable.

Or near as much fun.

Kirk B.

Kirk, I think you nailed it when you said, "Or near as much fun." I get a lot of enjoyment making the flies and even more when a fish finds it attractive enough to bite! I saw a number of flies at Academy and Gander Mountain that were approaching $8 for one fly! Yeah, there were some that had 8 to 10 flies in a box for $10 to $15 and some really funky looking ones that averaged in the neighborhood of $0.50 to $1 each. I could be wrong, but, even with the materials and equipment I have bought, think I will eventually come out ahead........I buy the cheap stuff and I now have enough tinsel for the rest of my life!

My sister is a beautician and got me a bunch from her supply place for next to nothing and I got a deal on some from China through eBay. I may go into the tinsel selling business!

LOL Flytire.

I could quit buying materials right now, only replacing hooks and thread, and not run out of flies to tie in my lifetime.

For Heaven's sake, PLEASE don't tell my wife!

I just like having ...No, *collecting*... materials almost as much as I like fishing and tying.

Kirk B.

kirk

same here

i have 35+ years of collected tying materials (enough to stock a small fly shop) that i'll never recoup to costs no matter how many flies i tie thinking its gonna save me money. it will never happen in the time i have left on the green side of the ground

flytire........

I love the picture and I am sure all of you are correct about the expense of fly tying. It's just that I enjoy doing it immensely. I'm not sure if that enjoyment is enough to compensate for the expense, but, I like to think so. So, I am sure I will continue to do my fly tying and hoping that a fish might like what I have done.

And, flytire.........if you would like to make some room on your workbench, I would be more than happy to take anything you have to offer! Just think, you could unclutter your bench and fill in the blank spots on mine!! What a deal! I'll even pay the postage!! Ooooooooo. I could always blackmail crazy4oldcars by threatening to tell his wife! How about it crazy, what's it worth to keep my mouth shut?

Seriously, I enjoy every fly I have tied and get a LOT of satisfaction out of having a fish strike one that I have made....that is worth the extra expense to me. Plus, I get to correspond with a great bunch of people on this forum, all of whom know much more about this game than I. 'Tis a vast storehouse of knowledge that I have access to!

i enjoy fly tying as much as anybody. but after 35+ years of doing it the enthusiasm is nearly gone.

sorry to say this but my days of donating free tying materials is over (at least here on this forum)

i donated a really good vise to a tyer and have basically never heard from him again. hes never posted any flies he might have tied with that vise and no longer participates in discussions.

i also donated a couple of capes to another tyer and guess what? he is gone too never to post here again

...at some point, we all seem to become curmudgeons. I think flytier is already there. smile.png ...and I'm not too far behind.