Fly Tying
scotty macfly

Protection from lead

Some states are banning lead wire, not so much for human contact when tying flies but to protect wildlife who may ingest it. You should be able to buy lead free wire weight. Mine is so old I just keep tying with it, never used latex gloves but I'm pretty sure in my 65 year life span( thus far) that any damage done by lead, if any at all, was probably done decades ago by larger quantities than you get on your fingers tying flies. One thing about weighting flies, it's the first step. You can do up a bunch of hook shanks with the weight , be that with or without gloves and be done with that task. If not using gloves just wash your hands after wrapping the lead and before going on with the next steps. Really the contamination will come from eating with bare hands after.

I don't think lead passes through the skin to any great extent. It only becomes a problem when ingested, inhaled or injected. It is also most dangerous to immature organisms as it messes with their developmental processes. Particularly the central nervous system.

no but i am man enough to buy sally hansens hard as nails polish

I've been using Sally Hansen's on my flies lately too, especially when I want to seal up under wraps ( yes I even seal lead, it helps stop oxidation). I had stopped using it years ago because of the odor on freshly tied flies but now I don't care anymore. I like the brush applicator and price..

I don't use lead wire ... since none of my flies need to sink more than 6 feet or so. But now you've got me thinking I should probably go to my dentists ... see if I can buy some "mouth dams" for when I clamp a lead sinker on with my teeth.

There are no worries from occasionally handling lead. I have been casting lead head jigs 30+ years along with 20+ years of working in the toy soldier / wargaming business; Just for fun every medical checkup (my 100K miles check up) I get tested for lead - never a problem. The last doctor even asked why I was asking for the test and when I explained why he laughed and said I could swallow a lead soldier and it would pass with no harm (from lead poisoning).

People use chemicals every day - think of what you might touch doing something simple like mowing the lawn (gas, oil, etc....) touching some lead wire for just a few seconds before you cover it with silk looks like no big deal.

I my body at 72 years old is still going just fine internally than no one has to worry much. I used to spend days wandering the streams and always had a couple of lead sinkers in my mouth to keep it moist. I'm talking doing this for years. I also poured lead jigs and sinkers by the hundreds, maybe thousands in poorly ventilated rooms. I handled these for many years trimming flash and painting and tying and am still kicking around just fine.

NOW, it might well be that COPD might have some ties to the melting and pouring of lead all those years back. Don't know about that. I do know that no one doing casual wrapping of lead wire on a run of hooks is going to have troubles if I didn't. Used to have a girlfriend back in the 70's and she and her sister worked at a battery factory in the Twin Cities. The people in the plant had regular testing for lead and once of twice a year they'd get a week off with pay to allow the lead readings to go down.

I was involved in competive shooting for a while. Some of the fellows that cast bullets, reloaded and shot a crap load would get over exposed to lead.

I was reloading and shooting a 1000 rounds a week and was tested and was fine.

Should be fine wrapping a couple bugs, just quit licking your fingers!