Fly Tying
Roland58

Two questions re: UV Goo and Hackle

Is there any advantage to using the UV activated "Goo" as opposed to super glue or head cement.......I know, there is some difference in setting time, however, I have learned that if the item is dampened slightly, super glue will set up almost immediately.

My other question is regarding hackle. What is the difference, functionally, between saddle hackle and neck hackle? Is it just size? Is one as good as the other? Is it just where it is plucked from, neck or butt?

I'm sure I will have more questions before I learn all this stuff, so, please bear with me........I'm old and slow!

Thanks to all that reply for your time and sharing your knowledge.

As far as I can tell, UV resins are a benefit if you are building clear heads, backs, etc. For securing the final threads on a fly, superglue works well. You can't get any thickness with superglue, and it's a very slow process with head cement. UV resins allow for instantaneous build-up.

I keep looking at UV glues ... but I am just too cheap to spring for any.

I can't say anything about the hackle ...

Also cock vs hen feathers has not been addressed, though I have not read the provided links. But suffice it to say that generally speaking the hen fibers will be softer than cock fibers. Hen often runs shorter and broader as well, within a given category. And then there is the whole system of grading involved ! Grading alone can be quite a mystery to gaze through lol. Thus it is always best to examine feather packs, capes etc, you want, or work in close communication with someone who can *Get It* ( as in understands), what you are asking for by description..

whether its a hen or rooster

cape/neck come from the neck area of the chicken

saddle hackles com from the back of the chicken

A dry fly saddle will have very long feathers in a very limited range of sizes. They are usually long enough to tie several flies each.

A dry fly cape/neck will have a wide range of sizes, but are substantially shorter. Although some of the newer generation genetic capes have some pretty long feathers.

There are several good videos on the internet that show the difference between capes and saddles as well as hens vs roosters. You can also check out Metz and Whiting's web sites.

My limited experience with the UV resins I've used, I found that the thicker viscosity did not cure tack free and de-laminated over time on most of the flies I put it on, it may have been the brand I was using all I know is that it didn't perform well. I switched to a low viscosity resin and it cures hard and faster. I think if you are going to use UV resins it's important to invest in a good UV curing light or laser and ask your local fly shop to explain the differences in the products they sell.

Nice looking chicken.

A hearty "thank you" to all that responded, especially flytire! The links you provided took a while to read, but, it was worth every second. I came away with a healthy understanding of the different kinds of hackle and their particular function.....I already knew the cape hackle came from the neck and the saddle hackle from the butt. However, I now have an understanding of how it is graded, how the rooster hackle differs from a hen, and the difference between dry and wet, along with many other things....to include a history.

The same goes for the UV activated resin. The links provided a wealth of information and I would recommend that everyone should red all of them, even if you THINK you know all there is to know. I thank you all, especially flytire!

Just to weigh in here: I used to use superglues as the head cement , nothing wrong with that, but over time they tend to whiten. then i used epoxy as the head finish: works great but you need to spin the fly until it hardened. Then I went to using Hard as Nails by Sally Hansen ( fingernail polish) works great and a bottle lasts a long time ,plus its cheap. I now use the Loon UV products, and they work great. but they tend to get costly. As a beginner i suggest the Hard as Nails fingernail polish. cheap is always best when starting to tie, except for your feathers. I suggest buying decent feathers (metz, Whiting,Ect.) you'll be less frustrated that way.