Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nick2011

tying station change up

I have changed tying stations at least 5 times since i started tying. I already modified the roll top desk i bought and im thinking of doing it again lol. My question is am i the only one that constantly changes my tying area or do we all look at ways to change things up regularly?

Same as flytire and utyer, once established, that's it. Perhaps you are over thinking the setup? All you need is flat space with lots of room. Rest is just noise.

I can see the need for developing new storage, but my table and immediate tying area will suffice for a very long time.

I've never changed mine either, and just use a woodworking bench that I've had since I was 11. I've been using it as a tying bench since 1998. I have bought a lot more bins to keep my ever growing supply of materials in though !

Regards,

Mark

That looks pretty darn elegant to me, flytire! I thought I was fairly organized until seeing this...

cheers,

Fred

You guys put me to shame with your neat desks and stations. I've got two desks, one opposite the other, and both are horribly unorganized. It didn't start that way with planning, but the primary one at first, was a desk from a LONG time ago, the second came about when I got rid of my desktop computer and had lots of space available.

If I tied a lot of the same pattern in one setting, then I'd (hopefully) be organized, but as it is, I tie one or two or three flies of one pattern, the materails of which are in unorganized piles on my desktop.

I can't say I've changed very much, I've always been a mess despite purchasing station equiptment that should have prevented the mess. WAY too much equipment and too little desk space.

My tying desk usually looks like someone took all my stored materials and put them in a topless blender. Bits and pieces everywhere.

I only clean it up when stuff starts falling off the desk onto the floor.

Only thing I do to my area is tidy it up and organize everything back to its original order, then make it look like this 20 minutes later haha

post-56400-0-72982800-1446962288_thumb.jpg

how in the hell do you stay in your chair while tying upside down? :)

Now that's a talented tier

As far as my desk is concerned, it's usually a mess on top but it's in my bedroom and I use the bed to lay out materials.

The wifey isn't all that happy about this so when my daughter finally moves out there will be an opening for a tying desk that will never have to have its material put away EVER.