Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishyfranky

Palming Reels

Do you palm your reel?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I started fly fishing I palmed my reel because I'm used to a centerpin reel with no drag. I tried using just the drag but old habits die hard so now I set it to 'medium-light' and palm for extra pressure. Works well for me for steelhead and salmon at least.

My trout reel i'll palm if I get a decent fish in fast water. My salmon and steelhead reel I'll try to let the drag do the work most of the time but there always is the need for palming when a good fish takes a big head of steam and runs for the logs and ya gotta palm it and hope the leader holds biggrin.gif

SD

It depends on the fish. For trout on light tippets I will palm (actually I use my finger tips). But for big, fast saltwater fish I let the drag do all the work. There is nothing more painful that having the reel handle slap your knuckles when a Tarpon or Permit is ripping off line.

I palmed, until i went to Michigan to Salmon/Steelhead fish. These were the first fish I was exposed to that could make long runs. I also found out I could'nt wade, chasing a fish, and palm. So I made sure I had good drags the next time.

ohmy.gif My question is: How did they fight fish back in the day when there was only ratcheting and click and pawl type drags? Answer: They fought fish like MEN! What's a few blisters for the memory of the fish of a lifetime?!? Ok, ok, I can't talk 'cause the biggest thing I ever caught on a fly rod was a 10 pound channel cat. It sure stressed my 5wt though laugh.gif Ya'll are spoiled! That's why I like trout fishing...a 4wt will always be sufficient, not like the logs you guys gotta wave around to get your adrenaline fix.

A.A.

Sign in to follow this