Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

bench or field whats more important?

ok guys im opening up a simple post asking for your opinions, someone on here mentioned that they didnt spend alot of time at the bench because it was second to fishing, that got me thinking which really is more important. On one hand if you spend more time at the bench your tying improves and you get better at immitating what you are trying to replicate, in theory you would catch more fish when in the field. On the other hand if your tying your not fishing so your definatly not catching fish but your trying to make the time you are in the field more productive. What do you guys feel about this?

Interesting question, but there is no need for the two to be incompatible. I tie at night in the summer when I seldom fish, and of course now the field done froze over so maybe an outing with midges on a warm day but mainly tying and filling the boxes for next season.

Well for me I just tie but I have yet to fish with any of my flies or the flies from the swaps I am in. I do not have a good rod and reel setup and I have been told that it is best to get someone to give you some lessons on casting a fly rod and reel. If one just goes out there and starts casting on their own you will set bad habits and then in the future it is hard to break those habits. At least that is what I have been I have been told. I tie just to have fun and to have some peace and quite. I am in my own little world for awhile tying away...lol

Well for me I just tie but I have yet to fish with any of my flies or the flies from the swaps I am in. I do not have a good rod and reel setup and I have been told that it is best to get someone to give you some lessons on casting a fly rod and reel. If one just goes out there and starts casting on their own you will set bad habits and then in the future it is hard to break those habits. At least that is what I have been I have been told. I tie just to have fun and to have some peace and quite. I am in my own little world for awhile tying away...lol

I have to say I never even though that some people tie and not fish, thats a perspective I didnt see coming into the conversation thank you

I am one of those who started tying to save money ... and for me, it's worked.

I never got into tying more and more complex or perfect flies.

I just recently got into a couple of swaps, and found out they aren't "for me".

I am still using material I got from FlytiersDungeon a couple of years ago. I use foam from flip flops and from Dollar Tree. I figure I have about .... $300 dollars wrapped up in tying, including vice, tools and materials.

Tying, for me, is only about replacing lost flies. So, my time fishing is much more important than my time tying.

I know that puts me in the wrong site ... but I like the people, and the pace, on this site more than any other place I've visited.

I am one of those who started tying to save money ... and for me, it's worked.

I never got into tying more and more complex or perfect flies.

I just recently got into a couple of swaps, and found out they aren't "for me".

I am still using material I got from FlytiersDungeon a couple of years ago. I use foam from flip flops and from Dollar Tree. I figure I have about .... $300 dollars wrapped up in tying, including vice, tools and materials.

Tying, for me, is only about replacing lost flies. So, my time fishing is much more important than my time tying.

I know that puts me in the wrong site ... but I like the people, and the pace, on this site more than any other place I've visited.

thanks mike I have to admit you made the statement that got me thinking about this in the first place, we are a little different than most of the guys and gals on here in the aspect that we can fish year round where alot of these guys get a whole season off to tie so it got me thinking is one really any more important than the other? on a side note in the craft section at walmart they have bulk packs of multi colored foam really cheap and its already in sheets!

I live in a city where there is little to no trout in streams or rivers nearby, It's at least an hour drive but I usually drive two hours + for better fishing probably once a week. I am a trout bum for sure. Since its not very close I tie flies alot more than I fish

Tough question to answer for certain. I guess I'll take a stab.

For me, I tie both for myself and for the local fly shop/friends which as one could guess this means a lot of my time needs to be dedicated to tying. On the other hand, I LOVE to fish...that is why I fell in love with fly fishing in the first place.

So....what does one like myself do?

I often find myself tying during normal hours for the shop and friends to keep up with demand and when I am set to go fishing I typically cram as many dozen into that night as I can directly before the trip.

In the end, I make enough money to pay for some supplies (I have an addiction to fly tying...a scary one) and often find myself fishing with flies hot off the press. But none the less usually catch enough fish to make the late nights worth it.

I have to say I never even though that some people tie and not fish, thats a perspective I didnt see coming into the conversation thank you

Oh don't get me wrong I love to fish and I fish with conventional fishing equipment all the time. I would love to fish my flies that I have tied over the last year and a half but I need to get some lessons before I start down the journey of fly fishing. I've been to several shows and expos and fly tiers and fly fisherman are the nicest people! They are willing to show just about anyone how to tie something. The first part of October I met Pat Cohen at the Fall Fly Tying Expo in Mountain Home, Arkansas. I listen to one of his presentations and got to sit at his fly tying table and watched him tie. It was a bucket list experience for me and he is a really super nice fellow. He answered everyone's questions and it was a pleasure to talk to him and watch him tie. Me personally I go to the expos and shows just to watch other folks to tie and to meet new people.

Oh don't get me wrong I love to fish and I fish with conventional fishing equipment all the time. I would love to fish my flies that I have tied over the last year and a half but I need to get some lessons before I start down the journey of fly fishing. I've been to several shows and expos and fly tiers and fly fisherman are the nicest people! They are willing to show just about anyone how to tie something. The first part of October I met Pat Cohen at the Fall Fly Tying Expo in Mountain Home, Arkansas. I listen to one of his presentations and got to sit at his fly tying table and watched him tie. It was a bucket list experience for me and he is a really super nice fellow. He answered everyone's questions and it was a pleasure to talk to him and watch him tie. Me personally I go to the expos and shows just to watch other folks to tie and to meet new people.

i wish i had a tying expo near me in central fl i have no idea where to look for one, with that said you should honestly grab your fly rod and go fish theres plenty of videos online to get you started and bad habbits really are not that hard to break, I hope the trout and stream guys dont rip my head of for this but technique gets to be more important when you start hauling and double hauling for distance in say a saltwater situtaion or casting weighted flies like clousers, im not saying accuracy isnt important because it is but you really cant teach that imo. but if your stream fishing and you can roll cast you can probably fish comfortably and succesfully all day, hands on experience is the best learning method.

For me, I tie both for myself and for the local fly shop/friends which as one could guess this means a lot of my time needs to be dedicated to tying. On the other hand, I LOVE to fish...that is why I fell in love with fly fishing in the first place.

I often find myself tying during normal hours for the shop and friends to keep up with demand and when I am set to go fishing I typically cram as many dozen into that night as I can directly before the trip.

In the end, I make enough money to pay for some supplies (I have an addiction to fly tying...a scary one) and often find myself fishing with flies hot off the press. But none the less usually catch enough fish to make the late nights worth it.

HELLO MY NAME IS add147 and I have an addiction to buy fly tying material!!! Welcome to the club buddy this whole fly tying stuff is addicting indeed!!! LOL LOL LOL

HELLO MY NAME IS add147 and I have an addiction to buy fly tying material!!! Welcome to the club buddy this whole fly tying stuff is addicting indeed!!! LOL LOL LOL

Hi add147, I have an addiction too and I DON'T wanna talk about it laugh.png

Fly fishing comes first, always has & always will! Tying flies is just what you end up doing! When people find out you fly fish, what is their first question, do you ty your own flies? Spend a lot of time at the bench but even more time flyfishing! Flyfishing 1st, flytying 2nd & hoording materials 3rd & you'll be right!

Time at the bench is important, but not nearly as important as time in the field in my mind. There are a lot of theories about how important exact imitations are, but I've seen enough one fly competitions to know that what wins is usually a piece of carpet shag tied haphazardly on hook with some bright orange dubbing. I think presentation of the fly is far more important than the fly itself.

Learning things like drag free drifts with methodical mending or reach casts for proper line control is far more important than getting the wing case or the thorax juuuuuuust right. I'd rather have a perfect cast and presentation than a perfect fly any day. For me, it is about getting the fly in the face of the fish. Presenting it in a way that even though they have never seen anything like it, it is easy enough for them to take the risk on it.

Keep in mind, I have had days where I've been truly humbled and the trout were looking for something specific. I know there are certain shapes and colors that work better at various times. But my thought is... what's the point if you can't present the fly in the right way? Get lots of hours on the streams. Learn where the fish hold and how they like the flies. Then focus on the benchwork.