Fly Tying
richz

Tying Area

Please don't laugh, pic 1 is my present tying area. Pic 2 is where an old computer desk was. The kids are moved out know so I am going to make a designated tying are. I was planning on making a shelf under the window for a tying bench and some smaller shelf's along the wall on both sides of the window for storage. In pic 2 you cane see the imprint in the carpet where the old computer desk was. I was going to build a small table for the computer and put it were the old computer desk was so I could roll between it and the tying bench. Anyone have any ideas or wisdom about my plan?

post-19468-0-64825600-1447861780_thumb.jpg

post-19468-0-44185600-1447861796_thumb.jpg

Nothing to laugh at, it's your space...good enough to do what you want it to.

I too am taking over a room for tying and computer room once my daughter moves out, soon maybe I think I saw a pig flying on the way into work this morning.

As far as something helpful to contribute in your plans.

I personally do not like the desk on carpet, which is where mine is now. I drop hooks or something it's a real bugger to find for me,

The room I'm going to has hardwood floors but thought that if I was going to stay in a carpeted room I i would buy one of those plastic office mats that you'd put under a chair, they're about 4 foot square.

Keep your materials as close to your bench as you can, getting up every 10 minutes because you forgot something or need a new material gets to be a pain, I used to have my materials all spread out on shelves and I felt like I was constantly running back and forth. I built a new bench with lots of space underneath for storage and frequently used materials in drawers above the bench (It's tall and I sit on a bar stool type chair) and don't have to run around to find stuff now. If you want to put up shelves, I'd put them directly beside or above the bench.

Sorry about the sideway pictures. I was going to put shelves on the sides and one on top of the window. As for the carpet SWMBO is still deciding on new carpet or hardwood flooring.

One thing I've notice, and might change about my tying area ... put the computer right on the tying desk.

If you've got a laptop, this will be harder to do, but I think it will make things easier.

I have wanted to tie to an SBS several times, but after looking back and forth from computer screen (to the side and slightly out of range of my bifocals) to my vise (in range of my bifocals), I usually give up and just tie the rest of the fly from memory.

I am planning a small flat screen right on the wall behind the desk ... and just above the desk top.

As has been mentioned ... your original space is not too bad, with all your materials at your fingertips. Keep that design feature in your new area.

One more thing ... Personally, I wouldn't have the window behind my vise. Back lighting, especially on a bright day, will make it harder to see details on your fly. All you'll get is a silhouette ... unless you use extreme light the front of the fly.

As far as something helpful to contribute in your plans.

I personally do not like the desk on carpet, which is where mine is now. I drop hooks or something it's a real bugger to find for me,

The room I'm going to has hardwood floors but thought that if I was going to stay in a carpeted room I i would buy one of those plastic office mats that you'd put under a chair, they're about 4 foot sq

lining your desk with magnetic sheets is also a good way to not lose hooks on the floor

Nice! For over forty years I stored my fly tying equipment and materials in a closet wherever I lived.

I would tie on whatever flat surface that was available. Sometimes I spent more time finding what I needed, setting up, and putting away than I did actually tying. Your set up is sweet, trust me.

Since your space is long and narrow I would design it around the chair and table you are going to use. You might want to put the computer under the window with a desktop spanning wall to wall so you won't be blocking the air duct. On the floor I would get a few of the plastic pads and make them go from your computer to your tying desk regardless if you have carpet or hardwood. Tying desk I would get three or four of the multi draw plastics draw sets like you have so they will slide under your desk. Make sure they are deep enough or wide enough so they can hold you saddle/necks. If you get the same ones you can swap the draws around at will to rearrange you materials. This is a big thing to me. Don't use them to support the desk. You should be able to slide them under your desk. The sides could be plywood with the same wood banding run verticle. The desktop could be a sheet of plywood with a 1 1/2" wood band around it with a few stiffeners running across it. The top could be polyurethaned or gray Formica. Put a plywood back on it to make it free standing. Make sure you chair will roll between the two areas. You might have to make the left side of your tying desk narrower to let the chair pass. The last part is good lighting. The more light the better. Best of luck.

Interesting this discussion is coming up now, after I spent the weekend playing with plans for building a new tying desk with integrated storage. This is what I have now (with more containers than pictured):

DSC_0601.jpg

I'm frustrated by wasted space in the storage containers, so I'm thinking of building drawers that are specifically sized to hold multiple dubbing packs and other specific sizes of bags that many common material comes in. But anything also needs to be flexible and able to grow, because I swear late I night I can hear my material spawning. At least that's how I explained all the new stuff to my wife.

Joseph. I'm guessing the vise/anvil at the lower right of the picture is for smashing the barbs down on your hooks ... right?

Joseph. I'm guessing the vise/anvil at the lower right of the picture is for smashing the barbs down on your hooks ... right?

absolutely, sometimes with the bigger size hooks I actually have to use the touch first lol. Excuse the mess my tying area is in my leather working / archery/ fly fishing /about ten other things room lol some people refer to it as a man cave but there's no tv!