Fly Tying
Quacker

Tying hackle onto a parachute post

I finish the head wraps, then wrap back and tie in the hackle feather at base of post. I wrap the hackle stem up the post to where I want to begin winding the hackle, then wrap my thread back down to the base of the post and let it hang.

I wrap the hackle down the post, then to tie off I wrap the thread horizontally through the hackle (it goes smoothly without trapping fibers) over the stem to capture it. I whip finish horizontally over the post, at the base of the post where I tied down the hackle fibers. If I'm careful with the whip finish I won't trap any fibers, but I may get a couple caught when I pull the whip tight. If so I trim any really wayward fibers. The hackle comes out nice and even and full.

There was a post, or thread, or a link ... of a method of putting on the "post" after wrapping the hackle. It involved tying in a piece of mono loop that extended well above the fly and was held there. You wrapped the hackle around the mono, secured it to the hook shank, along with the mono. Then pulled the mono loop tight, with your "post" material trapped in it. You then finished the head of the fly.

I never tried it, and I don't have the link ... it's just something I remember.

Flytier posted exactly what is done. Furled translates to twisted. You twist the body material until it wants to knot itself. Pinch the material at the length you need for the body and bring the tag end forward. Keep it pinched until you tie the tag end down with a few wraps of thread. When you let go the body will un-twist creating a twisted or furled body.

The post is the hook shank itself.

another method of tying on a hackle to the post involves uv resin

i tied on the post material with a couple of x wraps (like tying on barbell eyes)

tie on the hackle stem to the hook

lift the post material and the hackle into a vertical position and apply a small amount of uv resin to the base of the post and hackle stem (i used a brush to apply the resin but the dispenser tips would be a lot better

cure with your uv light

uv%20resin%20parachute%20post_zpslcxvxkc

for the adventurous tyers out there apply a little more resin to the post and then wind the hackle down the coated post and then cure with your light. trim off hackle tip. the hackle becomes embedded in the resin.

uv%20resin%20parachute%20post%202_zpslum

Having tried some parachute patterns, I think I'll do my bit to keep the fly sellers in business by buying parachutes, and keep tying gnats and bivisibles. Maybe the odd Adams if I can get the wings right.