Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Comfort vs. Utility in Vehicles -- What Would You Do?

I've never owned a 4-wheel drive. I won't bother to own one, either. In today's world, it's a rare place that you NEED 4-wheel drive to get to. And then you tend to piss people like me off. I've seen way to many idiots tear up some beautiful scenery just because they can. There were other ways to get to where they were going but ... "Hey, screw that, I'll make my own path!"

Airboats tearing up my shallow water fishing areas ... 4-wheel drives tearing up the rest of the country side. It's a good thing hunting humans is illegal, or ...

Well, I digress. Look around at all the areas you might go to within normal driving range. If you don't have a ton of 4-wheel only accessible places, save your money and go with comfort. As stated above, they're better on gas, too. This current low gas price era won't last forever ... they never do.

For the record, I agree with you about people abusing the countryside with 4WDs. I hate to see that, and would have no interest in taking one where there was no road at all myself, which is one of the reasons I probably don't need a 4WD. Like I said, it's more of a peace of mind thing -- nice to have it there if I should ever need it. I've owned two in the past--a Suburban and a Blazer--and very rarely ever made use of it.

Rolf, I have given serious consideration to both the Outback and the Forester--if I wanted to be completely sensible, I would probably get one of those, to be honest. There's a measure of...I don't know if I'd say vanity, exactly, but just "how I want to think of myself" in play here--basically, I just like the way SUV's and trucks look. I know that's not very practical. You're absolutely right, a Subaru would probably make the most sense for me. The only potential legitimate strike against them in my eyes is that they don't appear have a lot of headroom or general cargo space, and one of the things I liked about larger, more "boxy" SUV's (when I owned them in the past) is that I could comfortably sleep in them if I wanted to....I don't know if you could do that in the Outback or Forester or not. Have you ever?

Bryon I have not other than a short nap.... I'm old. smile.png This may help you out however. If not, check one out at the dealer.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2015.html#dimensions

Thanks for the link Rolf! That is indeed very helpful.

I appreciate all the responses -- thanks guys. You all make good points. As of this moment, I'm kind of leaning toward going up to the next trim level and getting the AC over the 4WD if I have to sacrifice one or the other. Going in to the Jeep dealer tomorrow morning; we'll see what comes from that. I can always count on folks here for a good discussion. smile.png

Ya know when Ford stopped building the Ranger for the US market our local Parts Plus delivery fleet turned over from the Ranger to Jeep Patriots. They are very very pleased with them, logging 300,000 or so before trade in. I noticed the newest rendition touts 30 MPG, I have to assume that would be the 2WD version and that the AWD version would get a bit less ( probably around 26-28). I didn't look up the specs.

Ya know when Ford stopped building the Ranger for the US market our local Parts Plus delivery fleet turned over from the Ranger to Jeep Patriots. They are very very pleased with them, logging 300,000 or so before trade in. I noticed the newest rendition touts 30 MPG,

That's strange, every year when they come out with the top 10 most customer dissatified list Jeep usually has 4 - 5 vehicels on that list. My sons girlfriend had a top-o-line $60,000 Jeep, she got rid of it after 2 years. Had another friend that had one & the lights would go out randomly while she was driving, another, the windsheild leaked. My son has a friend with an Outback, my 9ft rod would not fit, that was a factor for me. I have a Ford Edge, very comfortable, wish I had waited a couple years & gotten the Ford Escape, fits all my needs, costs less & better gas mileage. When I bought my Edge, the Escape had the feel of my sons Ranger, they have since upgraded it.

I am currently driving a '99 Wrangler. It does have AC and 4WD. As for me it has been an amazing vehicle. One MAJOR problem is that there is NO storage inside the Wrangler. I have made a few things to help with this, including an exterior rack, but still no storage. Keep in mind about 4WD drive as far as you can with out it, then lock it in and head back home. I have been chasing ducks this fall and have used it more often than I thought I would. I never used the AC this summer. I just took the top off.

Best of buying.

Michael

I am currently driving a '99 Wrangler. It does have AC and 4WD. As for me it has been an amazing vehicle. One MAJOR problem is that there is NO storage inside the Wrangler. I have made a few things to help with this, including an exterior rack, but still no storage. Keep in mind about 4WD drive as far as you can with out it, then lock it in and head back home. I have been chasing ducks this fall and have used it more often than I thought I would. I never used the AC this summer. I just took the top off.

Best of buying.

Michael

I didn't need to tow this particular boat I would take a hard look at the Ford Escape AWD as well ( the Jeep is less expensive though). My wife's has been excellent and the new ones review even better than those. Should have kept my old open 14 ft. fishing boat with the 15 HP 4 stroke but got dazzled by a 16.5 ft fish and ski that weighs probably 5 times more with a 90 Optimax on it. Great boat, takes much larger water but I could stick with 4 bangers to tow the other one ! It's funny, I can get to places on larger water with this one than the other, but could get to shallower places on smaller water with the other, like up rivers. Everything is a trade off. Anyway that new design Escape is supposed to be really decent car. My wife hates them, she thinks they ruined the looks of the Escape, she even wrote Ford a letter, between that and dropping the Ford Ranger ( her all time favorite vehicle having owned two of them) she got pretty disgusted with Ford.

Well, I am back from my foray into car-buying, and I am very pleased to report that I am getting a 2015 Jeep Patriot Sport, which is the lowest trim level, but this particular one they found for me happens to have both 4WD AND AC! Woohoo! Not only that, but they found me one with a 5-speed manual transmission (I love the stick, and insist on my kids learning to drive it when they hit driving age next year), and it's even in my preferred color, dark Olive.

I really am flabbergasted--I don't think I've ever had a purchase experience go this well.

Pics to follow next week -- they're bringing my vehicle in from Indiana. :)

Thanks again for all the feedback on your experiences with vehicles -- it was very helpful in making this decision.

Well, I am back from my foray into car-buying, and I am very pleased to report that I am getting a 2015 Jeep Patriot Sport, which is the lowest trim level, but this particular one they found for me happens to have both 4WD AND AC! Woohoo! Not only that, but they found me one with a 5-speed manual transmission (I love the stick, and insist on my kids learning to drive it when they hit driving age next year), and it's even in my preferred color, dark Olive.

I really am flabbergasted--I don't think I've ever had a purchase experience go this well.

Pics to follow next week -- they're bringing my vehicle in from Indiana. smile.png

Thanks again for all the feedback on your experiences with vehicles -- it was very helpful in making this decision.

+

Excellent, good luck with it !

Pics to follow next week -- they're bringing my vehicle in from Indiana. smile.png

+

Excellent, good luck with it !

Congrats and I wish you well with it!

Huge congrats!!!

It's just like being a kid again. Every mud puddle you see you will want to jump in it.

Michael

Thanks guys! Looking forward to the puddles. :)

I know I'm a little late to the conversation but I drive an old Toyota Corrola. I threw some cheap Thule roof racks on it and take my canoe or kayak with me when I want. But my real input here is that I have driven past guys with their jacked up trucks right mired while they're staring in disbelief that this little foreign car has made it that far out there. Obviously I have limitations on clearance and how much mud I can actually get through and occasionally I have to pull "landscaping duty" getting out and stacking a few rocks hear and there so I don't bottom out, but I have taken that thing to the places where they say "you can't get there from here." It's more about cautious driving and careful planning of a route past an obstacle. There really is a considerable element of driving "skill" that will get you further than 4wd alone. The other advantage is that the wheelbase is so small I can actually get turned around if need be. And I do just fine in the snow with studded tires, there was only one occasion I couldn't make it up the hill to work, but the snowplow couldn't even make it either, he just kept going up and down the hill, so I think I'll still call that a win. I see more trucks and SUVs in the ditch during snowstorms because they think 4wd makes them invincible and allows them to continue driving 60 rather than driving cautious. And I get upwards of 30 mpg. The only reason I want a truck/SUV is so I can tow my boat, but for now I just have to rely on my fishing buddies to tow it for me.

We also owned a Subaru Outback a couple years ago, and the back seats fold down and it's not to bad to sleep back there. But the newer ones suck IMO (less outback and more city) and the mid 2000's models are starting to show characteristic transmission problems and the rear sub-frames rot out if the hatch seal get's damaged (which is easy to miss when buying one). It was one of my favorite vehicles and if they weren't getting old and problematic now I'd buy another. I have taken the corrola further than the outback though because of that nice small wheelbase.

I know I'm a little late to the conversation but I drive an old Toyota Corrola. I threw some cheap Thule roof racks on it and take my canoe or kayak with me when I want. But my real input here is that I have driven past guys with their jacked up trucks right mired while they're staring in disbelief that this little foreign car has made it that far out there. Obviously I have limitations on clearance and how much mud I can actually get through and occasionally I have to pull "landscaping duty" getting out and stacking a few rocks hear and there so I don't bottom out, but I have taken that thing to the places where they say "you can't get there from here." It's more about cautious driving and careful planning of a route past an obstacle. There really is a considerable element of driving "skill" that will get you further than 4wd alone. The other advantage is that the wheelbase is so small I can actually get turned around if need be. And I do just fine in the snow with studded tires, there was only one occasion I couldn't make it up the hill to work, but the snowplow couldn't even make it either, he just kept going up and down the hill, so I think I'll still call that a win. I see more trucks and SUVs in the ditch during snowstorms because they think 4wd makes them invincible and allows them to continue driving 60 rather than driving cautious. And I get upwards of 30 mpg. The only reason I want a truck/SUV is so I can tow my boat, but for now I just have to rely on my fishing buddies to tow it for me.

We also owned a Subaru Outback a couple years ago, and the back seats fold down and it's not to bad to sleep back there. But the newer ones suck IMO (less outback and more city) and the mid 2000's models are starting to show characteristic transmission problems and the rear sub-frames rot out if the hatch seal get's damaged (which is easy to miss when buying one). It was one of my favorite vehicles and if they weren't getting old and problematic now I'd buy another. I have taken the corrola further than the outback though because of that nice small wheelbase.

Kennebec12 I know where you're coming from -- the car I'm trading in is a Chevy Cruze, which is pretty similar in size and capability to a Corrola, and I have taken it to some places I didn't initially think it would go. Like you, I've seen plenty of 4x4 trucks and SUVs in the ditch in wintertime, too. There's a lot to be said for knowing what you're doing behind the wheel.

Kennebec12,

You are absolutely correct. Driving skill has it over 4WD any day of the week.

I'm quite sure you will know the Lone Jack area between The Forks and Jackman. I had a 1988 Honda Civic in there many times. Only tricky parts were the washed out bridges just before the campsites.

My only issue with this kind of car, is climbing up and out of it. I've now find it much easier on my knees to slide out of my Jeep to a near standing position.

Michael

Was just deer hunting backside of Lake Parlin last weekend, was cold and snowing and the wind was treacherous. Tracked a decent buck through the fresh snow for a couple hours but couldn't catch up. Washouts are definitely tough to get across sometimes, if the wife is with me we turn around because she gets all nervous, but if I'm out with my buddies we'll find a path or make one.