Fly Tying
stabgnid

Substitution for Moose Mane ?????

The title says it all Need Substitution for Moose Mane ?????

Thanks Steve-stabgnid

Steve,

If you are using it for mosquito bodies, I'd recommend stripped peacock eye. If you are tying it as a floating wing, use dear body or elk in your flavor of color.

michael

Steve, you might try a light and a dark stripped quill. For smaller fly bodies you could use a light and a dark strand of horse tail. Peccary hairs make great looking bodies also. I save the quills from my Coq-de-Leon after I have used up all of the fibers for tails on dry flies and then use the quill to wrap a body.

Use a white thread in the size to fit fly. Color it with black marker as you wrap it back. Do it in small sections so black runs out at end of body. Wrap white thread back evenly spacing like a combo of black and white moose mane hair would look. That's for the mosquito type body look. I like to do that in different colors for bodies I don't want to add the weight of wire to get segmentation look.

I really like to wrap moose hair in a black and white tandem for bodies so if I ran out I'd have to get an order in for more.