Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Catgut Nymph

I decided to use some catgut I had here from the clinic to see how it worked; I have used it before, just a different style. The green in the dubbing is Shuck Yarn from the Mad Scientist at Fly Tying Dungeon, and the red is lint from lint filter in the clothes dryer. Everything else you can see is No.1 Braun Chromic Catgut straight from the clinic, and a little Sally Hansen Hard as Nails:

image.jpg1_zps4zm94ndp.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsniuad1tz.jpg

I think I am going to use Maribou, CDC, and/or Coq de Leon for feathering in the future and less dubbing, and/or a mix of both.

I have had fun with this type of tie and have caught quite a few fish n them on the Brazos here in Texas, unweighted and also tied with various weighted eyes and beads.

Very Nice Harold!!!

It looks as though you weaved the bodies from two strands, it looks to ad to the segmentation of the body, is that the case.

All of those flies are woven; I enjoy weaving. I use either Shuck Yarn from the Mad Scientist at Fly Tying Dungeon (I get a kick out of that character), catgut, or horse mane. Of the three, horse mane is my favorite because, when finished, it makes a very realistic looking body when woven. I don't do true realistic flies, but I like the look. of a nice, cleanly woven body

A friend, Fred Hannie does true realistics; I leave those to him. I go for what successfully entices fish here in Central Texas and on the flats around Aransas Pass and Rockport on the Texas Coast, and the Gulf of Mexico along PINS (Padre Island National Seashore).

Ray

Great looking flies Ray and a darn impressive room. Didn't you use to tie down at the Sowbug Roundup in Mountin Home? Your name is familiar. I haven't made it down there for the last couple of years but plan to try to get to the next one.

Dave

Lucian Vasies soaks the catgut before tying so is easier to tie with. He has some great looking nymphs as well.

http://www.flytying.ro/tying-a-catgut-caddis-nymph/

http://www.flytying.ro/micro-nymphs-grayling-tied-catgut-biothread/

http://www.ffp-shop.de/Catgut-Nymph

I also weave nymphs and use multi strand embroidery floss. You can vary the number of strands for the size of the fly and the materials are available at JoAnns or Hobby Lobby.

Yes, Dave, I've tied at the Sowbug and Mountain Home Conclave for nearly all of the meetings over the last 10 years. I'm ready to go to the Sowbug now; it's a 1,000 mile round trip, but I really enjoy the drive and my time there. It's a beautiful area and the folks are nice.

I've seen Lucian's catgut flies; he uses flytying catgut; I use surgical catgut. Surgical catgut is normally wet,; there is a preservative/wetting agent in the canisters that keep it moist, but I've had this particular canister lost the liquid somehow, so I was tying dry. It worked okay, although a little stiff. I have 2 other canisters that will be easier because the fluid is still there. When we were buying for surgery once, I went ahead and ordered 3 canisters for me. There is 50 meters in each, so that's a lot of flies!!

I have also used embroidery floss, too; I've got a couple of plastic containers full. I like using it, tight weaving material and it looks nice, but it's not my favorite. Everyone makes different choices.

Ray