Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

It's project time again

Well we got our first snow this past weekend and winter appears to have arrived in Michigan, so I am shifting into fly tying and (very much beginner-level) woodworking mode for a few months. I've been kicking around the idea of a Lazy Susan-type organizer/caddy for my tying tools for a while, so I took a crack at it and came up with this prototype, which is built of 3/4" plywood scraps. Once I feel confident that I know how I want it to go together, where I want all the holes to be, etc., I'm going to build it out of some nice walnut or maybe mahogany or something. There's a Woodcraft store near me, and they have big bins full of odd-sized scrap/cutoff pieces of all kinds of domestic and exotic hardwoods. We'll see. This is what I've come up with so far.

post-36073-0-38980600-1448315599_thumb.jpg

I like it. Just one question ... if you're going to put it on a swiveling base (lazy susan style) ... why not make it round?

I think the stacked pedestal looks great. Even if you go with some other wood, I'd leave that part plywood for the layering.

Nice start to an interesting project.

I like it. Just one question ... if you're going to put it on a swiveling base (lazy susan style) ... why not make it round?

I think the stacked pedestal looks great. Even if you go with some other wood, I'd leave that part plywood for the layering.

Mike, I thought about making it round, but I decided to go with rectangles in order to stay within my current skill set. Also, I don't have a good tool for cutting perfect circles in sizes that would work for the top and bottom tier of the caddy. I have Forstner bits for the small holes that will hold the tools, and I have a circle cutting tool for my router, but the smallest circle it will cut is 9" in diameter, which is a bigger footprint than I wanted the piece to have on my desk. Also, I thought it would be harder to get the spacing for the holes right with a circular base. I do like the idea of a circular caddy, though, and I'd like to attempt one down the road sometime when my skills and tools are both a bit more robust.

Good idea on sticking with plywood for the stacked pieces--I like the layering, too. :)

I would just be concerned about "things" being too tall and not fitting under the top shelf.

Maybe some spindles above or below for thread/tinsel/wire?

ihang10, good calls both -- I had the same concern about things not fitting under the top shelf, so I "dry-fitted" the pieces together with the tools in their designated holes before I glued everything up. Because the upper tier is smaller than the base (6" square vs. 7", respectively), the tools that hang down from the upper tier hang closer to the center pedestal, so they are kept more or less away from the tools that sit on the base level. However, that being said, I may add another 3/4" thick piece to the stacked pedestal when I do the final project, just to increase the clearance a bit.

As for the spool storage--I know this flies in the face of convention, but I've never liked those little spindles. It's just a personal quirk of mine. I have a little wooden cabinet with 4 small, shallow drawers, and I store all my spooled materials in there, except for the 4 spools of thread that I always keep spooled up on bobbins.

Thanks for the comments and feedback!

(Edited for punctuation)

I like it, i would consider making the big center hole to hold tall feathers like pheasant tail, duck wing ect.. nice design

I like it, i would consider making the big center hole to hold tall feathers like pheasant tail, duck wing ect.. nice design

Thanks Nick -- I included that central "well" to hold my Fugly Packer, the comb I use for combing out underfur from deer hair, and other taller tools, but I can see it working for tall feathers too.

Mike, I thought about making it round, but I decided to go with rectangles in order to stay within my current skill set. Also, I don't have a good tool for cutting perfect circles in sizes that would work for the top and bottom tier of the caddy. I have Forstner bits for the small holes that will hold the tools, and I have a circle cutting tool for my router, but the smallest circle it will cut is 9" in diameter, which is a bigger footprint than I wanted the piece to have on my desk. Also, I thought it would be harder to get the spacing for the holes right with a circular base. I do like the idea of a circular caddy, though, and I'd like to attempt one down the road sometime when my skills and tools are both a bit more robust.

Good idea on sticking with plywood for the stacked pieces--I like the layering, too. smile.png

Bryan, long time wood worker here, sometimes serious, sometimes not so serious. But something I've found to be super handy in the shop is a combo belt and disk sander. Mine is a larger unit on a stand, older and more clunky I might add than todays. But for cutting circles you can rough cut your pattern with a hand held saber saw, Sawsall, bench top scroll saw, or band saw, then sneak up on the edge line you drew with a compass on the sander disk. Basically for the same cost as a stationary disk sander alone, the compromise is generally a bit smaller disk, doesn't matter for edging though. I know , I know, everything comes in due time LOL!! Hey I waited 30 years to get a wood turning lathe and then almost didn't do it last year when I retired.

Here is a link to but one of many examples of sanders:http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/850180/4-x-36-Belt-and-Disc-Sander.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=850180

Bryan, long time wood worker here, sometimes serious, sometimes not so serious. But something I've found to be super handy in the shop is a combo belt and disk sander. Mine is a larger unit on a stand, older and more clunky I might add than todays. But for cutting circles you can rough cut your pattern with a hand held saber saw, Sawsall, bench top scroll saw, or band saw, then sneak up on the edge line you drew with a compass on the sander disk. Basically for the same cost as a stationary disk sander alone, the compromise is generally a bit smaller disk, doesn't matter for edging though. I know , I know, everything comes in due time LOL!! Hey I waited 30 years to get a wood turning lathe and then almost didn't do it last year when I retired.

Here is a link to but one of many examples of sanders:http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/850180/4-x-36-Belt-and-Disc-Sander.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=850180

Dave G, I've been telling my wife ('til she's considerably past tired of hearing it) that the next power tool I add to my shop will be the belt/disc sander! Glad to know I'm on the right track with that thought. :) Not only that, but the very one you posted a link to is currently on my online wish list at Woodcraft. I just discovered them a few weeks ago and was just in the store last night looking at that very sander. As you said, all in good time... :)

Dave G, I've been telling my wife ('til she's considerably past tired of hearing it) that the next power tool I add to my shop will be the belt/disc sander! Glad to know I'm on the right track with that thought. smile.png Not only that, but the very one you posted a link to is currently on my online wish list at Woodcraft. I just discovered them a few weeks ago and was just in the store last night looking at that very sander. As you said, all in good time... smile.png

yes.

Well we got our first snow this past weekend and winter appears to have arrived in Michigan, so I am shifting into fly tying and (very much beginner-level) woodworking mode for a few months. I've been kicking around the idea of a Lazy Susan-type organizer/caddy for my tying tools for a while, so I took a crack at it and came up with this prototype, which is built of 3/4" plywood scraps....

Great start there for sure! As a woodworker myself, I'm compiling ideas for a tying station of sorts. I see the one Dave G. likes for big $$$ and don't get why folks charge so much unless they're custom built (that's nuts for that one being over $400 in another thread). Need inspiration? Do an image search in Google for "fly tying station" and buckle up! One thing for sure, without a dedicated tying space here for me, I need to be able to move my station so I'm considering building something I can move easily. I have a small tool caddy I tossed together as my tool collection grew and I like yours. Keep honing your skills with the plywood and get your design sorted out. Then go for the nice lumber and build an heirloom! There's something about the fly tying benches/stations/caddies and "work areas" I like as much as the fly tying itself. For better wood, see if there's a custom cabinet shop in your area. You may be able to get scraps and cutoffs for your projects for cheap (or free too) just by asking. You don't need large pieces for a caddy. I built this jewelry case using almost all free stuff from a friend that hooked me up with some fine wood they were tossing out: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/94815

Well we got our first snow this past weekend and winter appears to have arrived in Michigan, so I am shifting into fly tying and (very much beginner-level) woodworking mode for a few months. I've been kicking around the idea of a Lazy Susan-type organizer/caddy for my tying tools for a while, so I took a crack at it and came up with this prototype, which is built of 3/4" plywood scraps....

Great start there for sure! As a woodworker myself, I'm compiling ideas for a tying station of sorts. I see the one Dave G. likes for big $$$ and don't get why folks charge so much unless they're custom built (that's nuts for that one being over $400 in another thread). Need inspiration? Do an image search in Google for "fly tying station" and buckle up! One thing for sure, without a dedicated tying space here for me, I need to be able to move my station so I'm considering building something I can move easily. I have a small tool caddy I tossed together as my tool collection grew and I like yours. Keep honing your skills with the plywood and get your design sorted out. Then go for the nice lumber and build an heirloom! There's something about the fly tying benches/stations/caddies and "work areas" I like as much as the fly tying itself. For better wood, see if there's a custom cabinet shop in your area. You may be able to get scraps and cutoffs for your projects for cheap (or free too) just by asking. You don't need large pieces for a caddy. I built this jewelry case using almost all free stuff from a friend that hooked me up with some fine wood they were tossing out: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/94815

Thanks Freddo -- I agree with all your recommendations and have already done some of the things you suggested. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent doing Google image searches for fly tying stations, tool caddies, benches, desks, etc.--I think I've seen just about every photo that's out there twice! I am forcing myself to take it slow and hone my design and skills on cheap plywood before I try to execute the final project. I did buy a nice piece of walnut for the project from a local Woodcraft store--wasn't free but not too dear, either--less than $25.

Nice job on the jewelry case!

Thanks Freddo -- I agree with all your recommendations and have already done some of the things you suggested. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent doing Google image searches for fly tying stations, tool caddies, benches, desks, etc.--I think I've seen just about every photo that's out there twice! I am forcing myself to take it slow and hone my design and skills on cheap plywood before I try to execute the final project. I did buy a nice piece of walnut for the project from a local Woodcraft store--wasn't free but not too dear, either--less than $25.

Nice job on the jewelry case!

Thank you too! Sound like you are on the right track then. Contact me if you have a question... Mostly have fun and there are no mistakes - it's all learnin'!