Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

Saltwater Fly Swap

Safety pin

musky/pike flies

secret santa.

Am I missing any?

I couldn't participate because it sometimes takes more than two weeks for my ties to make it over from oz.

but I am interested in, and have meistered a number of salty swaps now. Not up to meistering agaim for a while though. I don't think it's fair on the participants all of the time, to have to wait for the international post.... for some resson postage seems to work a bit quicker from Europe to you guys.

Safety pin

musky/pike flies

Santa swap

Am I missing any?

Yes im in three now and have sent my flies off on two, I just joined the musky swap will be sending those out shortly so I can get the saltwater swap going.

Ive been thinking about doing a three week tying time maybe a month. If its a month maybe do 12 guys and 12 flies traditional swap.

Joseph, As I said before I"m In. but I think you will need a longer due period as most of the guys on this thread are involved with multiple swaps. just my opinion.

Joseph, As I said before I"m In. but I think you will need a longer due period as most of the guys on this thread are involved with multiple swaps. just my opinion.

great to hear I will officially get it started in the near future once I satisfy my obligation to the musky swap. Im open to changing the tying time but I want to keep it realitvly short compared to some of the swaps. Do you guys think having a due date in hand of 5 weeks is better for 12 guys?

I would get it on this as long as the swap is after the new year. 4-5 weeks is plenty for me

Ok guys this is great imput I will make the first one a due in 5 weeks I think that should work for everyone and I will start it probably the end of the first week of January. Question would you guys prefer to tie 12 of one pattern or 12 different flies and do full box swap? I know I personally get boarded tying twelve of the same fly and I feel so do a lot of other guys. This way if two guys send flies obviously geared towards sea trout they get flies they can use! Imput? Im asking because I want a swap with the least chance of people failing to complete the swap.

Depending on how many guys join the swap will determine the amount of flys to be tied and if it is viable to do more than one pattern. Last salt water swap i was in we didnt have that many guys so we did one pattern because of the complexity. If you do multiple patterns I would limit it to two. Salt water flys take time to create. But, thats my opinion only.

Pj2 this is what I was looking for, feedback from others about what they would like to do, I agree that they take a while, now as far as amount of people if we did the saltwater swap as a baitfish pattern then the bass guys could easily get involved. What do you think about that?

I would love to get more guys involved. I think the tendency is that when the sweetwater boys see "salt water" they shy away from the swap ( last salt swap i was in had only six members). A bait fish pattern is fairly quick to create and most patterns will work for salt and fresh. That being said, If you say its a bait pattern, and stipulate that it can be for fresh/salt I think you will have a more successful swap with more interest from members.

I agree with you I think the first one ill try that im going to open it for 12 guys and I will leave saltwater out of the title, I actually do fish for bass every now and then that's what gave me that idea I fish every pattern I tie for salt in freshwater as well. I have to get my musky flies sent out to meet my 3 swap requirement so that way after the new year I can get the swap going.

Question would you guys prefer to tie 12 of one pattern or 12 different flies and do full box swap?

Personally, I won't participate in a full box swap. Skill levels vary among participates and I like receiving a few flies from the highly skilled participants. It gives me something to study and learn from. I'd rather receive one or two exceptional quality flies in a mixed swap, then to risk not getting any in a full box swap.

Just my 2 cents.

Question would you guys prefer to tie 12 of one pattern or 12 different flies and do full box swap?

Personally, I won't participate in a full box swap. Skill levels vary among participates and I like receiving a few flies from the highly skilled participants. It gives me something to study and learn from. I'd rather receive one or two exceptional quality flies in a mixed swap, then to risk not getting any in a full box swap.

Just my 2 cents.

Thats a great point and I Have been thinking of that myself after seeing some pictures from other swaps. Thank you guys for your opinion I want everyone to want to do this so hopefully it runs smooth. And can be done regularly switching patterns that work for both saltwater and some freshwater applications