Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

Crackle - Outstanding!... what size is the Rocker? I stopped at the Bear's Den the other night for a few minutes and they moved a bunch of Cohen's flys into a large display case by the front door. I don't know if it's kool to take a picture in the store so I didn't. There was a bullhead or catfish in the case that I would really like to see again and I don't see it on Pat's site. Perhaps I'll see it here one day.

Cream and Crackle: excellent Spun Hair! Brilliant! :

Eide: Once again you show me something to strive for.. BTW what hooks do you use for the double hook salmon flys?

I like that yarn, Eide. Makes nice looking bugs. Your skill might have something to do with it, but in this case ... that yarn would even make a novice's flies look good.

Crackle - Outstanding!... what size is the Rocker? I stopped at the Bear's Den the other night for a few minutes and they moved a bunch of Cohen's flys into a large display case by the front door. I don't know if it's kool to take a picture in the store so I didn't. There was a bullhead or catfish in the case that I would really like to see again and I don't see it on Pat's site. Perhaps I'll see it here one day.

It's on a TMC 8089 #2 which seem to be the same size as everyone else's 1/0.

Just a simple Clouser Minnow trying out the Partridge Sea Prince hooks. Looks pretty dang nice for a Clouser hook if you ask me.

post-54000-0-72737200-1449666553_thumb.jpg

Some Munch variants with a conehead with sticky back eyez and a resin head I tied for some dude in Michigan.

post-54000-0-51099400-1449666556_thumb.jpg

Dan ... the hook doesn't make the fly. The fly tier does ... you get the credit for a good looking Clouser, not the hook.

Alexandra Muddler (kinda)

Playing around with mini-Muddlers

hook - Mustad 3906B #8

thread - Danville 6/0 black

tail - hackle red

rib - small wire silver

body - tinsel silver

body hackle - black (undersize by 2)

wing - peacock sword

collar - grizzly dyed red

head - deer hair

Regards,

Scott

Wow, that's one crazy Muddler, never seen one before ! Nice job tying that, and on one of my favorite hooks too.

Now that is a COOL looking mouse! Throw that sucker in a kitchen and watch a woman go crazy!!!! LOL

Retro, have you used those damsels you tie, yet? I have tied some similar, after people on here say fish eat them (Something I've never witnessed in person).

But I didn't care for casting them, because they spun so much going through the air they twisted up my leader terribly. Got so bad, the leader would pull the fly through the water as it twisted itself into a furled leader.

Hi Mike ....I hadn't tested this fly out until this evening.

And yes you are correct .... furled tippet all the way lol....after about ten or twelve casts

I may just change from a fine leader to something heavier like a steel trace...just kidding .

When I tied a dragonfly previously .....it cast okay because the wing material was ziploc bag material.

Stiffer wings equal furled tippet...( as my leader is already furled ) but hey don't you just love wasting precious fishing time untangling leaders ? I know I do smile.png

Mouse.

Great mouse.... where did you stick the hook,

I hope he didn't squeak to loud. :)

+1 with Retro ... that's a great looking mouse, Cheech. Are the eyes regular plastic bead chain, or something different? They look real.