Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

Ke-He Black

IMG_8432_zpsv8ikrfys.jpg

IMG_8438_zpsfji2u8jc.jpg

IMG_8442_zpsyuxiqcna.jpg

Supposedly, the creation of 2 British anglers, Kemp and Heddle, in the 30's. I've seen them tied with the yarn on top of the tippet, too, but prefer this arrangement.

hook - Mustad 3906 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tag - tinsel silver
butt - yarn hot orange
tail - golden pheasant tippet
rib - oval tinsel silver
body - peacock herl
hackle - hen black

Regards,
Scott

dryfly.me_.2015.12.19.grey_-1024x640.jpg

dryfly.me_.2015.12.19.grey_front-1024x76

Hook: Partridge Ideal Dry #12
Thread: Semperfli Nano Silk
Tail: Whiting Bronze Brown
Body: Beaver
Hackle: Whiting Bronze Brown&Grizzly

Some nice classical work from SB and eide, and many others this month.

A few days ago, I came up with and posted a pattern, that I thought (wrongly it turns out,) was something new. It turns out the great Jack Gartside had a VERY similar pattern. After learning of its existence, I decided to do some, here then is my version of the Aleph from Jack Gartside. Followed by a second Aleph with bead chain eyes. post-12074-0-75192700-1450536364_thumb.jpg

A few days ago, I came up with and posted a pattern, that I thought (wrongly it turns out,) was something new. It turns out the great Jack Gartside had a VERY similar pattern. After learning of its existence, I decided to do some, here then is my version of the Aleph from Jack Gartside. Followed by a second Aleph with bead chain eyes. post-12074-0-75192700-1450536364_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-71188400-1450536378_thumb.jpg

Been messing around with some articulate d sliders inspired by fly fish food. I call the last one Rufio.

These little flashy guys have been doing pretty well for me too.

Just love the articulated muddler minnow if that's what it is .

Might have to tie some of those for brownies

Thanks man. The first one was kind of something I just tied up. After that I stumbled on the Fly Fish Food video for their articulated slider Here is the link for their how to: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2015/02/articulated-trout-slider.html the Gold one was my attempt to copy it.

A few days ago, I came up with and posted a pattern, that I thought (wrongly it turns out,) was something new. It turns out the great Jack Gartside had a VERY similar pattern. After learning of its existence, I decided to do some, here then is my version of the Aleph from Jack Gartside. Followed by a second Aleph with bead chain eyes. attachicon.gifAleph2.JPG

Hi utyer .... Really like these flies bud , what weight rod would you use to cast these.

Are they primarily for saltwater or can they be adapted for a freshwater application..... Please excuse my ignorance.

Maybe I have missed something earlier in the thread lol

Regards Retro

Retro,

My first post on this type of pattern is back on page 12. If you look back, you will see it was slightly different. Than the last 2 patterns. I tie these for Salt Water fishing, targeting Snook, Redfish, Sea Trout, and Tarpon here in east central Florida lagoons. I fish the lagoons with a 9' 8 weight rod that is overlined with a 9 weight line. They could easily be tied on other hooks like a Mustad 3366 for bass, and smallmouth.

Top water bass = Love

attachicon.gifDH.jpg

You have certainly got the "hair spinning" talent down pat!! Those are incredible! I would vote to have them displayed at the top of the home page!!

Your photography is tremendous, as well!! You need to make a Youtube video showing one of these being made.........I know I would watch it many, many times!!!

20kw5ea.jpg

20tjiwn.jpg

Still messing around with articulated sliderish ideas. The close up is the spun deer hair head after coating it with gold waterproof t-shirt puff paint. I really like the way it turned out. Sometimes getting weird on the vise pays off.

Retro,

My first post on this type of pattern is back on page 12. If you look back, you will see it was slightly different. Than the last 2 patterns. I tie these for Salt Water fishing, targeting Snook, Redfish, Sea Trout, and Tarpon here in east central Florida lagoons. I fish the lagoons with a 9' 8 weight rod that is overlined with a 9 weight line. They could easily be tied on other hooks like a Mustad 3366 for bass, and smallmouth.

Thank you utyer

I think you are right on the money about Bass liking them.