Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

Dirty Weeker

IMG_8617_zps5t2du4hx.jpg

IMG_8623_zpshyonyx7b.jpg

IMG_8629_2_zpshtvnef3k.jpg

Apparently a bastardization of the phrase Dirdie Wicker, "Dirdie" meaning "busy", and Wicker from the town of Wick, where the creator, Hugo Ross came from.
Here's a little history of the fly
Hillend Dabbler: The Dirty Weeker

hook - Mustad 3906 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - Amherst Pheasant tippet hot orange
rib - oval tinsel gold
body - angora goat (seal sub) claret
hackle - hen hot orange over black

Regards,
Scott

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

IMG_0367_zpsvshtojkv.jpg

Hahaha definitely hell....definitely. Wish i had your skills so i could join. Just amazing what you guys can do with deerhair.

Found a pattern online called Helter Skelter Pike Fly Jig. Tried scaling it down to a size i like for Trout. Will be giving this one a couple more goes with different materials to see if i can get some more volume.

Link to the original fly: http://thefeatherbender.com/2014/03/25/helter-skelter-pike-fly-jig-2/

My try

20151223_174003_zpsqk53loga.jpg

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

Probably ... but not for your tying skills or subjects.

I've posted my admiration of your skills enough, that you know I like the deer hair work you do Cream. However, I do wonder at tying lure copies.

I imagine the deer hair version weighs close to the same weight as the plastic one, especially if you use the same hook on the back instead of the trebles. So, why not just tie on a Zara Spook?

Found a pattern online called Helter Skelter Pike Fly Jig. Tried scaling it down to a size i like for Trout.

My try

20151223_174003_zpsqk53loga.jpg

I like that pattern. I like the rattles pouch. Might have to give that a try.

Messing around with some soft hackles.

sl1tns.jpg

That's actually a beautiful fly, and very we;; done. Thanks for posting that.

Ray

TheCream - I'm impressed with the spook. Did you apply any liquid fusion or LCA to the bottom or any parts of the fly to keep it buoyant and from getting water logged?

thanks for sharing

Messing around with some soft hackles.

sl1tns.jpg

Kudos for a great looking fly! I'd say you are not a beginner, by any standard!!! Very nice work.

@Papa Baske

Your abilities with deer hair is phenomenal! I'm just starting to use some deer hair, it looks so easy on Youtube, but, mine just 'twists' and gets all boogered up. When you tie the deer hair on the hook shank, what is the length of the hair? I am taking cuttings from a piece of hide with hair about an inch and a half long. I even put it in a stacker to get everything even. Maybe I'm not using enough hair for tying? Do you have any videos anywhere?

Thanks!

P.S. Don't worry about going to Hell. God is a fly fisherman and he would be very interested in your abilities!

@Papa Baske

Your abilities with deer hair is phenomenal!

Got the wrong guy :) my skills with deerhair is definitely nothing to be impressed about

@Papa Baske

Your abilities with deer hair is phenomenal!

Got the wrong guy smile.png my skills with deerhair is definitely nothing to be impressed about

Sure did, too many people involved here. Cream? Jackson?? Whoever did the deer hair lure, my hat is off to you!!