Fly Tying
djtrout

Fly Line for kayak fishing river smallies

perused the forum and found many topics on kayaking from the standpoint of kayak selection. I am currently looking to replace my 7 wt fly line, and my primary mode will be river fishing smallies from kayak (Tarpon 120, which I dearly love for 5 years now). I will always be seated, which generates my question, in that I cast from a seated position that is low/close to the water. Although I've done fine with the Orvis bottom of line flyline of 8 years ago (I don't even remember the model), I want a line I can punch out a lot of distance (50-70 ft regularly) with heavy streamers/baitfish and poppers with the least possible line out in my backcast (i.e. shorter head), and minimize false casting. Looking for the ability to load and fire quickly as it were as I float down a river. I was thinking a shorter head, such as in a Rio outbound shorty, would offer a nice compact head to get the best distance for the casting stroke. I do need some control for fishing my crayfish and nymphs, but most of my throws will be the baitfish and surface bugs and poppers. I use an Orvis T3 9 foot rod.

A local shop has recommended the Rio smallmouth bass line, and I was going to get that, but second thoughts due to the kayak - want the best line to support easy distance casting from that platform. I'm going to see what my shop has to say on that aspect tomorrow, but I enjoy the feedback of the experienced folks here in this forum.

I'm wondering what experience folks have with the Rio line in a 7 or 8 wt, especially if you have kayak experience.

I also use the 7 wt for pond and lake fishing (secondary).

Thanks all!

I was going to recommend the rio outbound short which I have on my 9wt but you got that covered, I fish saltwater from a kayak with my 10wt and I fish scientific angler sharkwave and love it! I cast 80ft without much effort and without carrying too much line outside the rod the stuff shoots like a dream, but! Its tough on the fingers so a glove or finger cot is recommended.

I also fish from a kayak, and have fished from a sitting position in kick boats for years. I have started to "over-line" my rods, with a line one size heavier. The rod will load properly with less line, and carries more line when shooting. This may not work on every rod, but both my 8 weight rods work very well with 9 weight lines.

Thats a great point about over lining. It also helps casting in the ever present wind. I also use a shorter leader when I can get away with it, its easier to manage if your dont have perect casting form while in your kayak as many guys will claim they have lol

I'm hearing you Joe..... I've been using a 3-4wt fibreglass with 5wt line and a 5ft tapered furled leader with 2.5 ft Tippet and that works well .... But I'm only putting out 30 - 40 foot casts if that .

I use the Rio "Coldwater Clouser" fly line on my 8 wt. from my kayak, and I like it a lot. I am able to stand and cast from my boat, but I do fish from a sitting position too, and I've never had any problems.

I don't know if Rio still makes that line, though.

I've read about the Sharkwave, interesting how it seems to grind on the hands. Now, I wear paddling gloves so I guess that would work out; still, it feels off-putting. Looking at it all the same. Rio claims the shorty is already one line overweight, I shall take that into consideration. I overline my 5 wt with a 6 from Rio, and it fishes like a dream. Thanks for comments ...

I must've been doing something wrong. Years ago, I bought myself one of those "four person" inflatable boats that they sell in swimming pool stores. I say "four person" because they must use very little people for models. When I sat in the stern, my feet were up on the bow. Anyway, I used 5 wt line on a 5 wt rod with no problem. I was invariably using popping bugs which offer some resistance and helped in loading. I was sitting in a rubber boat with my bottom below the waterline.

I also use no more leader than the length of my rod. In Florida, fishing for bluegills, you could probably get away with no leader at all. :-)

Im not going to lie if I use a 10ft. Leader from a seated position in a kayak I hit the water behind me every 10 or 15th cast, go to an 8' and no issues plus larger flies unroll better imo just keep your false casts to a min and you shouldn't spook to many fish, I also carry a lot of line outside the rod as line management in a kayak is quite difficult. Lol which could also contribute to hitting the water when your carrying 50' of fly line on a 10wt. So as long as you have good line management rio outbound short is great if not its going to be tough on your shooting guide with the tangle hitting it ever time you try to get that extra foot or ten!!

I've fly fished from canoes and kayaks my entire life. I think, you are overthinking it. Want to cast 80 feet from a kayak with no line management concerns? Use a spinning rod.

I've fly fished from canoes and kayaks my entire life. I think, you are overthinking it. Want to cast 80 feet from a kayak with no line management concerns? Use a spinning rod.

Agreed I spend about half the time managing my line the other half casting it lol

JS - lol

that's why I float with 2 baitcasters and a flyrod. I am, of course, overthinking it, that's what I do when I buy something new. I don't buy new stuff except once in a blue moon and I get all absorbed in the choices. Well it's fun. Counter-productive, but fun...

:-)

I carry a flyrod and an ultralight rig. Love ultralight. With those tiny 1/8 oz. lures it's almost like flies.

I also think the rio outbound short would be best, but depending on how deep you are fishing I would recommend the intermediate or type 6 sinking lines to really get that fly down to the fish. If you went with the sinking line I would recommend the 265 grain sink-tip. Also the sharkwave line is textured, similar to the skin of a shark, to add in its hydrodynamic capabilities and that is why it is rough on the hands and gear