Fly Tying
islander727

Finally found plastic bead chain eyes.

What material are they strung on? I'd be concerned that it might deteriorate over time/wetting, and the eyes might fall off the fly.

I got the tip from Drew Chicone, so they should be okay. I hope.

I have read a LOT about Drew, beg parents to sign me up for his Strip Strike U 2017 on a daily basis. I never knew he lived in South Florida due to his accent. I have emailed him before, but no response unfortunately. Maybe one day I'll come across him in a fly shop or something. Oh yeah, his website... Saltyflytying.com is also pretty cool

Is this the same type of plastic bead chain y'all are using? These caught my eye at Wal-Mart today. I would think you'd only use them on floating patterns? If not does coating them with epoxy help them sink or suspend?

post-59266-0-61276300-1472747844_thumb.jpg

I use beads like that from Dollar Tree. They definitely do not float well enough to keep a fly on the water. They slow the decent, but I don't think they actually "sink" either.

Some of those beads, Fishypieter, are way too big for flies.

If you buy from that site, just remember to check the sizes.

Conversions rounded for convenience ...

25.4 mm = 1 inch

12.7 mm = 1/2 inch

6.3 mm = 1/4 inch

3.2 mm = 1/8 inch.

I've gotten some at various sources. Sometimes, I've found them by accident just being in a store that had them. I found something similar to what Islander posted many years ago in a JoAnn's. It was in the sewing section & marked as a trim item for making dresses & such. Only found black then, about 3mm diameter & used it on nymph patterns & panfish flies. It came on a roll too, and I'm sure I still have some of it.

Jamal, depends on what you want them to do, sometimes they help sink a fly, but much slower than metal.

I've tied some bass flies using Mardi Gras beads, (5, 6, 7, 8 mm) which are hollow & they don't sink much, but work great when you want the fly to be just below the surface. Have also used some brightly colored, bought packaged as a tying material (Wapsi or Hareline) and used it to tie Shad flies. On a sinking line they still get down & don't snag as often on the bottom.

There's many applications that plastic bead chain could possibly be used. Use your imagination & experiment! wink.png