Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

Art of shaving? I think not Christmas gift for dad.

ok guys what do you think? If you have ever been in the art of shaving you know these sets are over $500 Its crazy

I made this one for my dad for christmas (i did not machine the hardware) I have a lathe but did not use it for this project I wanted that handmade feel,

post-56603-0-49113400-1449775714_thumb.jpgpost-56603-0-97509300-1449775721_thumb.jpgthe wood is buckeye burl Only 1 coat of oil applied so far.

I learned how to shave with a straight razor back in the 80s. I never felt "comfortable" with it ... but I could complete the job without a nick. Took too long, and my nerves would be shot, but it worked.

I still would rather shave with blades instead of machine ... but I use much safer blades in plastic holders, now.

Maybe you might look into making reel seats?

I think I could and man do I have some pretty woods ive been wanting to build a rod but my concern is with putting on the epoxy coating having more bubbles than an aquarium lol

Good morning Josephcsylvia,

I have made Kayaks, canoes and I have been making travel mugs as of late. To help you with your bubble issue, thin the epoxy 50/50 with acetone or fingernail polish remover. This will increase you dry time by a lot. I find with the mugs two to three coats is great. I sand off all imperfections between coats and finish with a quality Spar Varnish.

An article I found helpful was this from Woodworkers Journal. http://ezine.woodworking.com/woodworkingtechniques/lathefinishing/index.html

Hope this helps.

Mary Christmas

Michael

post-46603-0-08027400-1450021090_thumb.jpg

Michael, that's perfect info thank you. Ill give it a try, any tips for what to use when I want a more natural but polished feel to the wood like a wax for example?

A few ideas I have, but there are questions that go with them. I have done a few cribbage boards with burled cherry and curly maple. I used boiled linseed oil. Heat it slowly and apply it in multi coats until it does not absorb into the wood. Looks incredable on cherry. I have turned many sets of knitting needles and I always us butchers wax on them. It helps the yarn slide over the needles nicely. However I am going to refer you to a friend of mine that is friggin' amazing. His name is Forest Procter. He is in a woodworking group with me. His finishing is something I am in complete awe every time I see his pieces. He has explained this process to our group, but because I do mostly exterior pieces, I haven't tried it yet. Check out his site and give him a call or email him. He is super helpful and a great guy. http://www.forrestsfinefurniture.com/

Michael R. Earle

"Thursday Night Woodworking Group"