Fly Tying
breambuster

Thermal Underwear

Hey Guys, I live in the Southeast where snow comes only on rare occasions. The trade off, though, is that trout fishing can be a year round activity. Our weather lately has been unusually warm; close to 70 for daytime highs. However, our usual temps would be highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's. Water temperature, though, feels cold to me. Obviously, though, it's above freezing. I'm thinking about some thermal underwear for some added warmth. I would also wear it while hiking. Obviously, I don't need anything designed for sub-zero temperatures. My I tend to stay colder than my wife and often wear a jacket or extra flannel shirt in the house. Temp at 68 degrees. I'm looking at a pair of "silk weight" which I can get in my size from Cabela's. But it's a mail order thing and I'm concerned that I order the right stuff. So what do you think? Would silk weight or lightweight thermal underwear under my street clothes and waders be sufficient?

Thanks

BB

I live in florida now but am from Massachusetts,

even a lightweight thermal makes a big difference the benefit of keeping it light is it doesnt restrict movement.

In all honesty just pick up a cheap set at walmart there about perfect.

In Indiana we will see sub zero temps in the winter for days. In the dog days of summer the temps will 100+ for days. I always wear poly pro when I'm in my waders. It keeps me warm when it's cold. And in the summer my pants are still dry.

If you have a bicycle shop nearby you could check that out, the cyclists pants are pretty much the same thing and they are very good for moisture wicking, not sure what the price comparison would be though. I wear them under my insulated pants when I'm out shoveling or ice fishing because they help pull away the moisture that sucks the warmth out of you after doing something strenuous. Wool socks work wonders for keeping the feet warm which helps keep your legs warmer also, if it gets cold enough down your way, I prefer the partial polyester blends like smartwool because they stay drier.

January, when I was in Norwood Massachusetts a few years ago. I did some fishing using a friend's waders. Under those, I wore a pair of sweatpants, a pair of jeans and two pair of socks. I was afraid I'd only get a few minutes before I'd be too cold, but I was good for the whole day. Waders are pretty good insulation already. All you need under them is an air layer or two to keep the cold surface away from your skin.

There are many good, thin sweatpants that will give you just the right amount of thermal protection without breaking the bank.

Its always better to team up thin layers as its the trapped air that insulates you.

I have found Gil thermal wear the best I've tried but now use plain dept store long johns for the fact they are so cheap.

I use breathable waders year round here in north Scotland.

Also check your socks. If you can find really good socks it makes a huge difference under waders. I've found alpaca wool or merino wool ones best.

Not sure what Cabela's is selling but I know from my own experience that PolarTec fabrics

are the cat's insulated PJ's. Comes in different weights. Not exactly cheap, but it will serve

you well in the long run.

Just don't melt them in the clothes dryer (doh...read the washing/drying destructions ☻)

I'm 5'11" and my medium Patagonias are way too small. My son (5'10") isn't crazy about them either. They are warm but I think they are too restrictive.

My favorite silk weights actually came from uniqlo. Light and warm beyond belief.

Favorite polar weight thermals are XGO. Hands down, way better then my mil-std polypropylene. Hunting or fishing on a cold day, it's my XGOs.

Lightweight-medium weight polypro long underwear (Walmart, or if not available in the South, get some at walmart.com). Layer over these with polyester fleece lounge pants (hipster pajamas) (in the Northeast these are available at Ocean State Job Lots for about $8). Be sure they are polyester not cotton. Wear wool or acrylic heavy socks and you can stand around all day in your waders in the cold. No cotton except maybe your undershorts. All moisture needs to wick out, driven by body heat, or you get cold. Also a fleece vest or sweater to keep your core warm, and a winter hat (wool or acrylic), since most heat leaves via the head, especially if you are follicly challenged like me. Personally I wear old-school neoprene waders in the early spring and late fall, but probably not worth the investment in the South.

Would silk weight or lightweight thermal underwear under my street clothes and waders be sufficient?

Thanks

BB

if you are standing in the water for extended periods of time, go with the heavier knit. in the end, it is easier to vent if over heating, verses adding a layer from thin air.

Lightweight-medium weight polypro long underwear (Walmart, or if not available in the South, get some at walmart.com). Layer over these with polyester fleece lounge pants (hipster pajamas) (in the Northeast these are available at Ocean State Job Lots for about $8). Be sure they are polyester not cotton. Wear wool or acrylic heavy socks and you can stand around all day in your waders in the cold. No cotton except maybe your undershorts. All moisture needs to wick out, driven by body heat, or you get cold. Also a fleece vest or sweater to keep your core warm, and a winter hat (wool or acrylic), since most heat leaves via the head, especially if you are follicly challenged like me. Personally I wear old-school neoprene waders in the early spring and late fall, but probably not worth the investment in the South.

Ephemerella nailed it. Cheap polypro long underwear and polyester fleece pants are perfect cold weather wading gear. And don't cramp your toes! Circulation is more important than added insulation. Just avoid cotton next to skin.

Potential bonus - if you're cold in house, the fleece pants make great comfy clothes. They aren't expensive. I've used a pair from EMS closeout for over 100 days a year for 10 years. Only replaced the drawstring.

As does FSHFLYS, I've been wearing the Patagonia Capilene lightweights for at least as long as he and I can't say enough good things about them. The insulation to weight is the best and the wicking is even better. Just this morning I was thinking about getting another set to last me till my end of years.