mash barb, start thread, wrap to bend

IMG_8873_zpsexmjmwab.jpg

tie in hackle by tip

IMG_8848_zps5q8r4eqr.jpg

palmer forward to 3/4 mark; tie off/trim

IMG_8849_zpsvmhorysy.jpg

wax thread, create loop

IMG_8850_zpsq21m1mwt.jpg

clean, stack, measure (= to front hackle length); insert in clip, trim butts, insert in clip, spin

IMG_8852_zpsdgnm3pcs.jpg

IMG_8853_zpsx1mbkwvb.jpg

IMG_8854_zpshsopon4q.jpg

IMG_8876_zpswhoucmbg.jpg

stroke fibers back; wrap head, tie off/trim

IMG_8856_zpsn4bcziao.jpg

IMG_8857_zps5t5oe7xz.jpg

half hitch x 2, SHHAN, trim head

IMG_8864_zpsllbcksrl.jpg

IMG_8867_zpsgh0a6zuf.jpg

IMG_8872_zpsv1km7flo.jpg

Regards,

Scott

If I may answer for Scott.

Loch Ordie is a traditional loch fly from this part of the world, originally it was a dapping fly, and I still tie them for use as dapping flies. Some people tie it with the white hackle at the rear, but it is more common to place the white hackle at the head of the fly. Bob Wyatt has his own version with a black hackle at the rear, brown in the middle and white at the head. If not tied as a dapping fly, it is usually tied with the hackle sloping back like a wet fly.

The Loch Ordie is used as the top, or bob, fly in a team of up to 4 flies in traditional loch style fishing. It should sit well down in the surface and produce a wake when pulled. It is a great pattern here; you will have a hard time finding anyone fishing the lochs who doesn't have a few "Ordies" tucked away in their fly box. Two seasons ago it accounted for my largest brown of the season.

My dapping version is tied entirely of deer hair in the same way Scott has tied the head, with black at the rear, brown in the middle, and white at the head.

Here are a couple of mine. Left the traditional dressing and right the Bob Wyatt variation.

post-43582-0-61944000-1450542588_thumb.jpg

Don't be afraid to wrap some hackle on these. Each of those in the picture have over 30 turns of hackle on them. It helps them create lots of surface disturbance.

The original was apparently based on the Neversink Skater, The Duke of Athol described the fly to Hardy Bros. who tied it as a dapping fly on a long shank hook with a tiny flying treble.

Cheers,

C.

Sorry my mistake Stan Headly created the variation with the black not Bob Wyatt. (Old age and new pills have my head all muddled up).

Cheers

C.